Smart Loudspeaker Arrays for Self-Coordination and User Tracking
The Internet of Things paradigm aims at developing new services through the interconnection of sensing and actuating devices. In this work, we demonstrate what can be achieved through the interaction between multiple sound devices arbitrarily deployed in space but connected through a unified network. In particular, we introduce techniques to realize a smart sound array through simultaneous synchronization and layout coordination of multiple sound devices. As a promising application of the smart sound array, we show that acoustic tracking of a user-location is possible by analyzing scattering waves induced from the exchange of acoustic signals between multiple sound objects.
KeywordsSelf-coordination Acoustic user detection Smart sound objects
Work supported by Samsung Research Funding Centre of Samsung Electronics under Project Number SRFC-IT1301-04 and BK21 project initiated by the Ministry of Education.
- 3.Gaubitch, N.D., Kleijn, W.B., and Heusdens, R.: Auto-localization in ad-hoc microphone arrays. In: Proceedings of the 2013 IEEE International Conference on Acoustics, Speech and Signal Processing, Vancouver, pp. 106–110 (2013)Google Scholar
- 4.Leest, A.J.V., Schobben, D.W.: Method of and system for determining distances between loudspeakers, US patent 7,864,631 B2 (2011)Google Scholar
- 6.Kim, H., Lee, S.J., Choi, J.W., Bae, H., Lee, J.Y., Song, J.H., Shin, I.: Mobile maestro: enabling immersive multi-speaker audio applications on commodity mobile devices. In: Proceedings of Ubicomp 2014, Seattle, WA, USA, 13–17 September 2014Google Scholar
- 7.Adib, F., Kabelac, Z., Katabi, D.: Multi-person localization via rf body reflections. In: Proceedings of the 12th USENIX Symposium on Networked Systems Design and Implementation, Oakland, USA, 4–6 May (2015)Google Scholar
- 10.Dokmanic, I.: Listening to distances and hearing shapes: inverse problems in room acoustics and beyond. Ph.D. thesis, Ecole Polytechnique Federale de Lausanne (EPFL) (2015)Google Scholar
- 11.Ye, G., Liu, D., Jhuo, I.H., Chang, S.F.: Robust late fusion with rank minimization. In: Proceedings of 2012 IEEE Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition, Providence, RI, pp. 3021–3028 (2012)Google Scholar