Chemical Correlations Between Industrial Curds and Final Cheeses. Can Cheesemakers Standardise Productions?
The chemical composition of milks and curds influences the microbial ecology and chemical features of produced cheeses. This statement is quite obvious because ‘normal’ cheeses—products with a prevailing ingredient, milk—are obtained by means of the transformation of the main raw material and the addition of minor components. Because of the possible scarcity of readily available milk in many regions or economic areas, the industry of milk and dairy products, including cheeses, has improved the production of ready-to-use curds. These products, also named ‘industrial curds’, are produced exclusively for further cheesemaking processes. For this reason, ready-to-use curds are pre-packaged with the aim of supplying cheesemaking industries. However, the standardisation of curds is easily possible only near curd-making industries. This Chapter discusses adequate countermeasures for final cheesemakers; on the other side, the complete control on cheese production parameters in these conditions does not seem to be a possibility at present.
KeywordsCheese Expiration date Fat to protein ratio Frozen storage Industrial curd Refrigerated storage Standardisation
- Barbieri G, Barone C, Bhagat A, Caruso G, Conley ZR, Parisi S (2014) The problem of aqueous absorption in processed cheeses: a simulated approach. In: Barbieri G, Barone C, Bhagat A, Caruso G, Conley ZR, Parisi S (eds) The influence of chemistry on new foods and traditional products, Springer International Publishing, pp 1–17Google Scholar
- Delgado AM, Parisi S, Almeida MDV (2016) Milk and dairy products. In: Delgado AM, Almeida MDV, Parisi S (eds) Chemistry of the Mediterranean diet. Springer International Publishing, Cham, pp 139–176Google Scholar
- Parisi S (2006) Profili chimici delle caseine presamiche alimentari. Ind Aliment 45(457):377–383Google Scholar
- Parisi S (2013) Food Industry and packaging materials—performance-oriented guidelines for users. Smithers Rapra Technology, ShawburyGoogle Scholar
- Parisi S (2016) The world of foods and beverages today. Online video course, Learning.ly/The Economist Group, 750 Third Ave NY, NY 10017. Available http://learning.ly/products/the-world-of-foods-and-beverages-today-globalization-crisis-management-and-future-perspectives
- Parisi S, Barone C, Caruso G (2016a) La standardizzazione dei parametri chimici iniziali nei formaggi semiduri tramite l’uso di un programma in Basic: il CYPEP Lite, versione 1.00.1. IndAlimen 55, 568:3–6Google Scholar
- Parisi S, Barone C, Caruso G (2016b) Packaging failures in frozen curds. The use of a BASIC software for mobile devices. Food Packag Bull 25, Numbers 1 and 2:16–19Google Scholar