Proposal for a Hybrid Expert System and an Optimization Model for the Routing Problem in the Courier Services
Courier services consist generally in distributing packages or envelopes that are received daily for a set of customers geographically distributed through a fleet of vehicles. Thus, these services could be modeled as vehicle routing problem. The aim of this paper is to show an approach to solve this problem. We propose a three stage approached the first ones consist of scheduling, the second one is a clustering of customers, and the last one is a routing stage. Finally, we presented numerical results using a case study.
KeywordsCourier service Clustering Vehicle routing problem Expert system
The authors would like to thank the comments of the anonymous referees that significantly improved our paper and the anonymous courier services company that provide us the data input.
- 1.Farahani, R.Z., Rezapour, S., Kardar, L.: Logistics operations and management: concepts and models. Elsevier (2011). doi: 10.1016/c2010-0-67008-8
- 4.Golden, B.L., Raghavan, S., Wasil, E.A.: The Vehicle Routing Problem: Latest Advances and New Challenges: Latest Advances and New Challenges. Springer, US (2008). doi: 10.1007/978-0-387-77778-8
- 9.Arroyave, M.R., Naranjo, V.V.: Development of a model of urban freight distribution with logistics platforms applied to the city. Ing. USBmed. 5, 67–76 (2014). (in Spanish)Google Scholar
- 12.Yepes Piqueras, V., Medina Folgado, J.R.: Economic optimization of transport networks VRPTW type. Rev. obras públicas Organo Prof los Ing caminos, canales y puertos, pp. 31–39 (2003). (in Spanish)Google Scholar
- 16.Pereira, F.B., Tavares, J.: Bio-inspired Algorithms for the Vehicle Routing Problem (2009). doi: 10.1007/978-3-540-85152-3
- 22.Badaró, S., Ibañez, L.J., Agüero, M.: Expert systems: fundamentals, methods and applications. Cienc. Tecnol. 1, 349–363 (2013). (in Spanish)Google Scholar
- 23.Turban, E.: Decision Support and Expert Systems: Management Support Systems, 2nd edn. Prentice Hall PTR (1989)Google Scholar
- 24.Patiño-Chirva, J.A., Daza-Cruz, Y.X., López-Santana, E.R.: A hybrid mixed-integer optimization and clustering approach to selective collection services problem of domestic solid waste. Ingeniería 21, 235–247 (2016)Google Scholar
- 25.Glover, F.W., Kochenberger, G.A.: Handbook of Metaheuristics (2003). doi: 10.1007/b101874