Integrated Monitoring at a Modern Architectural Masterpiece: The Case of Viaduct Basento in Potenza
- 877 Downloads
This chapter presents the interesting case study of the monitoring of the Viaduct Basento in Potenza (southern Italy). Two features make this case study fascinating. The first aspect is that Viaduct Basento is probably the most important and visionary architectural work of the famous structural engineer Sergio Musmeci. The second aspect concerns the application, almost unique in the scientific literature, of an integrated diagnosis approach combining a wide set of electromagnetic sensing technologies with advanced civil engineering analysis methodologies and tools.
KeywordsElectrical Resistivity Tomography Synthetic Aperture Radar Bridge Deck Electrical Resistivity Tomography Crisis Event
- Bavusi M, Soldovieri F, Di Napoli R, Loperte A, Di Cesare A, Ponzo FC, Lapenna C (2011) Ground penetrating radar and microwave tomography 3D applications for the deck evaluation of the Musmeci bridge in Potenza, Italy. J Geophys Eng 8:S33–S46. doi: 10.1088/1742-2132/8/3/S04. www.istimes.eu CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Dumoulin J, Crinière A, Averty R (2013) Detection and thermal characterization of the inner structure of the “Musmeci” bridge deck by infrared thermography monitoring. J Geophys Eng 10(2):17 pages , IOP Science, doi: 10.1088/1742-2132/10/6/064003.
- Giovannardi F (a cura di), Sergio Musmeci. Strutture fuori dal coro. Available at www.Giovannardierontini.it, 2010
- Soldovieri F, Hugenschmidt J, Persico R, Leone G (2007) A linear inverse scattering algorithm for realistic GPR applications. Near Surf Geophys 5(1):29–42Google Scholar
- Soldovieri F, Dumoulin J, Ponzo F, Crinière A, Bourquin F, Cuomo V (2014) Association of sensing techniques with a designed ICT architecture in the ISTIMES project: application example with the monitoring of the Musmeci bridge. In: Proceedings of EWSHM – 7th European workshop on structural health monitoring, Nantes, France, July.Google Scholar
- Stabile TA, Perrone A, Gallipoli MR, Ditommaso R, Ponzo FC (2013) Dynamic survey of the Musmeci bridge by joint application of ground-based microwave radar interferometry and ambient noise standard spectral ratio techniques. IEEE Geosci Remote Sens Lett 10(4):870–874. doi: 10.1109/LGRS.2012.2226428 CrossRefGoogle Scholar