A Novel Digital Rights Management Mechanism on Peer-to-Peer Streaming System
Digitalization of content is both a blessing and a curse, it makes the transmission of the digital content efficiently in the peer-to-peer streaming (P2PS) system. However, the digital content suffers the threats from the Internet and may be pirated easily. Such situations call for a new Digital Rights Management (DRM) method which is not only able to protect the copyright of content owners, but also to facilitate the consumption of digital content easily and safely. In this paper, we proposed a novel P2P streaming based DRM mechanism, which can satisfy the requirements to avoid the digital content being used illegally. Our DRM mechanism implements the authentication between the server and the peer, tracking the unfair use of the digital content and deleting the illegal peer from the P2PS system.
Keywordsdigital rights management peer-to-peer streaming security
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Fujimura, K., Nakajima, Y.: General-purpose Digital Ticket Framework. In: 3rd Conference on USENIX Workshop on Electronic Commerce (1998)Google Scholar
- 2.Rosenblatt, W., Mooney, S., Trippe, W.: Digital Rights Management: Business and Technology. John Wiley & Sons, Inc. (2001)Google Scholar
- 3.Jamkhedkar, P.A., Heileman, G.L.: Digital Rights Management Architectures. Computers & Electrical Engineering (2009)Google Scholar
- 4.Von Lohmann, F.: Peer-to-peer File Sharing and Copyright Law: A Primer for Developers. In: 2nd International Workshop on Peer-to-Peer Systems (2003)Google Scholar
- 5.Brahmbhatt, D., Stamp, M.: Digital Rights Management for Streaming Media. Handbook of Research on Secure Multimedia Distribution (2009)Google Scholar
- 6.Chu, Y., Rao, S. G., Seshan, S., Zhang, H.: A case for end system multicast. IEEE Journal on selected areas in communications (2002)Google Scholar
- 7.Zhang, X., Liu, J., Li, B., Yum, T.: Grid Information Services for Distributed Resource Sharing. In: 24th IEEE International Conference on Computer Communications (2005)Google Scholar
- 8.Iwata, T., Abe, T., Ueda, K., Sunaga, H.: A DRM system Suitable for P2P Content Delivery and the Study on its Implementation. In: 9th Asia-Pacific Conference on Communications (2003)Google Scholar
- 9.Arnab, A., Hutchison, A.: Fairer usage contracts for DRM. In: 5th ACM workshop on Digital Rights Management (2005)Google Scholar
- 10.Felten, E.W.: A Skeptical View of DRM and Fair Use. Communications of the ACM (2003)Google Scholar