The Study of Steganographic Algorithms Based on Pixel Value Difference
Wu and Tsai proposed PVD (pixel-value differencing) data hiding method in 2003. PVD partitions a cover image into non-overlapping blocks of two consecutive pixels and calculated the difference value from the two pixels in each block. This method provides an easy way to produce a more imperceptible result. Afterwards, some scholars have proposed PVD-related improvements in image quality and embedding capacity. This paper classifies and discusses the recent PVD-based methods. We will compare each PVD related method in terms of the embedding capacity and PSNR.
KeywordsSteganography data hiding pixel value difference PVD
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.C.K. Chan and L.M. Cheng, “Hiding data in images by simple LSB substitution,” Pattern Recognition, vol. 37, Issue 3, pp. 469–474(2004).Google Scholar
- 2.X. Zhang and S. Wang, “Efficient steganographic embedding by exploiting modification direction,” IEEE Commination Letters, vol. 10, no. 11, pp. 781–783(2006).Google Scholar
- 3.D.C. Wu, and W.H. Tsai, “A steganographic method for images by pixel-value differencing,” Pattern Recognition Lett., vol. 24, pp. 1613–1626(2003).Google Scholar
- 4.S. Dumitrescu, X. Wu, and Z. Wang, “Detection of LSB Steganography via Sample Pair Analysis,” IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, vol. 51, no. 7, pp. 1995–2007(2003).Google Scholar
- 5.J. Fridrich, M. Goljan, and D. Rui, “Detecting LSB steganography in color, and gray-scale images,” IEEE Multimedia, Vol. 8, No 4, pp. 22–28(2001).Google Scholar
- 6.A. Westfeld and A. Pfitamann, “Attacks on Steganographic Systems,” Lecture Notes in Computer Science, vol. 1768, pp. 61–76(1999).Google Scholar
- 7.J. Mielikainen, “LSB Matching Revisited,” IEEE Signal Processing Letters, vol. 13, no. 5, pp. 285–287(2006).Google Scholar
- 8.H.C. Wu, N.I. Wu, C.S. Tsai, and M. S. Hwang, “Image steganographic scheme based on pixel-value differencing and LSB replacement methods,” Proc. Inst. Elect. Eng., Vis. Images Signal Processing, vol. 152, no. 5, pp. 611–615(2005).Google Scholar
- 9.K.C. Chang, P. S. Huang and C. P. Chang, “Adaptive image steganographic scheme based on tri-way pixel-value differencing,” Systems, Man and Cybernetics, IEEE, pages 1165–1170(2007).Google Scholar
- 10.C.H. Yang, C.Y. Weng, S.J. Wang and H.M. Sun, “Adaptive data hiding in edge areas of images with spatial LSB domain systems”. IEEE Transactions on Information Forensics and Security, vol. 3, no. 3, p. 488–497(2008).Google Scholar
- 11.C.M. Wang, N.I. Wu, C.S. Tsai and M. S. Hwang, “A high quality steganography method with pixel-value differencing and modulus function”, J. Syst. Softw., vol. 81, pp. 150–158(2008).Google Scholar
- 12.S.Y. Shen, L.H. Huang, “A data hiding scheme using pixel value differencing and improving exploiting modification directions” Computers & Security., vol.48, pp. 131 (2015).Google Scholar