Structural Health Monitoring on the SARISTU Full Scale Door Surround Structure
This chapter presents an application case of a Structural Health Monitoring (SHM) system installed and used to inspect a full scale Door Surround Structure (DSS) . A generic DSS was produced by means of an automated fiber placement technique. During the manufacturing process, a SHM network consisting of 584 piezoelectric transducers was integrated in the structure. Afterwards, an impact campaign has been performed on the DSS with a total of 112 impacts, inducing skin delaminations and debondings of various structural features.
The purpose of the impact campaign consisted in the development and validation of the SHM system applied to the DSS. A probability-based damage identification algorithm has been developed and its performance in detecting the damages of the DSS has been evaluated. Traditional Non-Destructive Inspection (NDI) served as a reference for the evaluation of the damage assessment performed with SHM. The results showed a good correlation between SHM and NDI regarding damage identification and location. The SHM system was sensitive to all damage types occurred in the DSS.
The authors would like to thank the European project Smart Intelligent Aircraft Structures (SARISTU) with grant agreement no. 284562 for financially supporting the research.
- 1.Eckstein B, Bockenheimer C, Bach M, Cheung C, Chung H, Zhang D, Li F (2013) Large scale monitoring of CFRP structures by acousto-ultrasonics: A flight test experience. In: Chang F, Guemes A (eds) Proceedings of 9th IWSHM, Destech Publications Inc, pp 528–535Google Scholar
- 2.Giurgiutiu V (2005) Tuned lamb wave excitation and detection with piezoelectric wafer active sensors for structural health monitoring. J Intell Mater Syst Struct 16(4):291–305. doi:10.1177/1045389X05050106, http://jim.sagepub.com/content/16/4/291.abstract, http://jim.sagepub.com/content/16/4/291.full.pdf+html
- 3.Kopsaftopoulos F, Nardari R, Li YH, Wang P, Ye B, Chang FK (2015) Experimental identification of structural dynamics and aeroelastic properties of a self-sensing smart composite wing. In: Proceedings of 10th IWSHM, DEStech Publications. doi:10.12783/shm2015/163, http://dx.doi.org/10.12783/SHM2015/163
- 4.Loendersloot R, Büthe I, Michaelidos P, Moix-Bonet M (2015) Damage identification in composite panels – methodologies and visualisation. Springer, Berlin, pp 579–604Google Scholar
- 5.Moix-Bonet M, Eckstein B, drir R Loendersloot, Wierach P (2015) Identification of barely visible impact damages on a stiffened composite panel with a probability-based approach. In: Chang F, Guemes A (eds) Proceedings of 10th IWSHM, Destech Publications Inc, pp 2334–2341Google Scholar
- 6.Moix-Bonet M, Wierach P, drir R Loendersloot, Bach M (2015) Damage assessment in composite structures based on acousto-ultrasonics: evaluation of performance. Springer, Berlin pp 617–629Google Scholar
- 7.Moix-Bonet M, Eckstein B, Wierach P (2016) Probability-based damage assessment on a composite door surrounding structure. In: Guemes A (ed) Proceedings of 8th EWSHMGoogle Scholar
- 8.Schmidt D, Kolbe A, Kaps R, Wierach P, Linke S, Steeger S, von Dungern F, Tauchner J, Breu C, Newman B (2015) Development of a door surround structure with integrated structural health monitoring system, Springer International Publishing, Cham, pp 935–945. doi: 10.1007/978-3-319-22413-8_51 Google Scholar
- 9.Wang D, Ye L, Lu Y, Su Z (2009) Probability of the presence of damage estimated from an active sensor network in a composite panel of multiple stiffeners. Compos Sci Technol 69(13):2054–2063. doi:10.1016/j.compscitech.2008.11.005, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.compscitech.2008.11.005 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 10.Wu Z, Liu K, Wang Y, Zheng Y (2014) Validation and evaluation of damage identification using probability-based diagnostic imaging on a stiffened composite panel. J Intell Mater Syst Struct 26(16):2181–2195. doi:10.1177/1045389X14549873, http://jim.sagepub.com/content/early/2014/09/09/1045389X14549%873.abstract, http://jim.sagepub.com/content/early/2014/09/09/1045389X14549873.ful%l.pdf+html
- 11.Zhao X, Gao H, Zhang G, Ayhan B, Yan F, Kwan C, Rose JL (2007) Active health monitoring of an aircraft wing with embedded piezoelectric sensor/actuator network: I. Defect detection, localization and growth monitoring. Smart Mater Struct 16(4):1208–1215. http://stacks.iop.org/0964-1726/16/i=4/a=032 CrossRefGoogle Scholar