Why not OSI?
- 445 Downloads
This paper presents an argument that the OSI proposed standard is technically superior to the TCP/IP standard for network communications. An Actor-Network Theory approach is taken for analysis of the historical record surrounding the adoption of TCP/IP. The paper does not seek to create a new history of TCP/IP but to suggest this is a case where traditional explanations of adoption based on the nature of the technology do not explain the demise of the OSI model. Parallels are then drawn between this adoption and the possible problems with the implementation of IPV6. These parallels provide insight into the impediments that may arise with the adoption of the new standard.
KeywordsInternet OSI model TCP/IP IPV6 Adoption Actor-network theory
- 2.Leonard, K.: Communication Nets: Stochastic Message Flow and Delay. McGraw-Hill, New York (1964)Google Scholar
- 4.Kleinrock, L.: Information flow in large communication nets. RLE Quarterly Progress Report (1961). 1Google Scholar
- 9.Reid, J.: The Good Old Days: Networking in UK Academia ~ 25 Years Ago. [PDF] (2008). (cited 2008 16 April 2008)Google Scholar
- 10.Cooper, B.: From Janet to SuperJanet: The Development of a High Performance Network to Support UK Higher Education and Research. The Computer Board for Universities and Research Councils (1990)Google Scholar
- 12.Daly, M.: Topsy: The Startling Story of the Crooked Tailed Elephant, PT Barnum, and the American Wizard, Thomas Edison. Grove/Atlantic, Inc., New York (2013)Google Scholar
- 13.Oswald, E.: Android Market Share Growth Accelerating, Nielsen Finds. PC World 2011, February 2015. http://www.pcworld.com/article/226339/android_market_share_growth_accelerating_nielsen_finds.html
- 14.Deering, S.E.: Internet protocol, version 6 (IPv6) specification (1998)Google Scholar
- 16.Southworth, J.B.: An empirical analysis of the relationship between IPv6 readiness, IPv6 enablement, and IPv6 effectiveness at colleges and universities in the United States, Indiana State University (2016)Google Scholar
- 17.Zamani, A.T., Ahmad, J.: IPv6 adoption: challenges & security. IJCER 3(1), 08–12 (2014)Google Scholar
- 18.Nikkhah, M., Dovrolis, C., Guérin, R.: Why didn’t my (great!) protocol get adopted? In: Proceedings of the 14th ACM Workshop on Hot Topics in Networks. ACM (2015)Google Scholar