Avoidance of rosacea trigger factors and appropriate skin care such as sunscreens and moisturizing agents are important first steps for rosacea treatment and prevention. Pharmacologic interventions range from topical to systemic medications, with the ideal medication choice dependent on the symptoms and severity of each individual patient. The endoplasmic reticulum (ER) stress model of rosacea pathogenesis (see Chap. 8) sheds new light on preventive and therapeutic interventions controlling this chronic skin disease. This chapter shows that prophylactic measures and pharmacological interventions synergize in attenuating enhanced ER stress of rosacea skin.
- El-Heis S, Buckley DA. Rosacea-like eruption due to topical pimecrolimus. Dermatol Online J. 2015;21:5.Google Scholar
- Fowler J Jr, Jackson M, Moore A, et al. Efficacy and safety of once-daily topical brimonidine tartrate gel 0.5% for the treatment of moderate to severe facial erythema of rosacea: results of two randomized, double-blind, and vehicle-controlled pivotal studies. J Drugs Dermatol. 2013;2:650–6.Google Scholar
- Longo CM, Adam AP, Wladis EJ. Rosacea and the eye: a recent review. Expert Rev Ophthalmol. 2018;13:57–64.Google Scholar
- Santos CX, Tanaka LY, Wosniak J, Laurindo FR. Mechanisms and implications of reactive oxygen species generation during the unfolded protein response: roles of endoplasmic reticulum oxidoreductases, mitochondrial electron transport, and NADPH oxidase. Antioxid Redox Signal. 2009;11:2409–27.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Schaller M, Dirschka T, Kemény L, et al. Superior efficacy with ivermectin 1% cream compared to metronidazole 0.75% cream contributes to a better quality of life in patients with severe papulopustular rosacea: a subanalysis of the randomized, investigator-blinded ATTRACT study. Dermatol Ther (Heidelb). 2016;6:427–36.Google Scholar
- Thibaut de Ménonville S, Rosignoli C, Soares E, et al. Topical treatment of rosacea with ivermectin inhibits gene expression of cathelicidin innate immune mediators, LL-37 and KLK5, in reconstructed and ex vivo skin models. Dermatol Ther (Heidelb). 2017;7:213–25.Google Scholar
- van Zuuren EJ, Fedorowicz Z, Carter B, et al. Interventions for rosacea. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2015;(4):CD003262.Google Scholar