Lightweight IEC 61850 Secure Communication Module for Microgrids
Microgrid systems use distributed renewable energy resources to reduce dependency of traditional power systems. These energy devices are located at various places because of their characteristic and communicate using Ethernet control protocol like IEC 61850. Because of performance requirement of IEC 61850 standard, most commercial IEC 61850 libraries do not apply security functions even though IEC 62351 standard series define security necessary of IEC 61850. Naturally, IEC 62351 series are not mandatory but optional. However, absence of security functions means energy systems transfer raw data using Ethernet network and are vulnerable to known cyber-attacks like man-in-the-middle attack. In this paper, we suggest IEC 61850 secure communication module to prevent cyber-attacks with satisfaction of IEC 61850 standard performance requirements. Our module is lightweight to satisfy 5m sec reactivity and provides integrity and confidence using bi-directional authentication and X.509 certificates.
KeywordsEncryption Algorithm Encrypt Data Renewable Energy Resource Security Function Secure Module
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Lasseter. R. H.: Microgrids. Power Engineering Society Winter Meeting, 2002. IEEE. 2002Google Scholar
- 2.Office of Electricity Delivery & Energy Reliability, THE ROLE OF MICROGRIDS IN HELPING TO ADVANCE THE NATIONS’S ENERGY. http://energy.gov/oe/services/technology-development/smart-grid/role-microgrids-helping-advance-nation-s-energy-system
- 3.Lasseter. R. H., Paigi.P.: Microgrid: a conceptual solution. Power Electronics Specialists Conference Vol.6 (2004). 4285-4290Google Scholar
- 4.Leelaruji. R., Luigi.V.: State-of-the-art in the industrial implementation of protective relay functions, communication mechanism and synchronized phasor capabilities for electric power systems protection. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews Vol.16(2012) 4385-4395Google Scholar
- 5.Core IEC Standards. http://www.iec.ch/smartgrid/standards/
- 6.Yoo, B.K., Yang.H.S., Kim.W.Y.: Communication architecture of the IEC 61850-based micro grid system. Journal of Electrical Engineering and Technonogy. Vol.6(2011) 605-612Google Scholar
- 7.OpenSSL, https://www.openssl.org/