A GA-Based Simulation System for WMNs: Performance Analysis for Different WMN Architectures Considering Uniform Distribution, Transmission Rate and OLSR Protocol
In this paper, we evaluate the performance of two WMN architectures considering throughput, delay, jitter and fairness index metrics. For simulations, we used ns-3. We compare the performance for two architectures considering transmission rate, uniform distribution and OLSR protocol. The simulation results show that for transmission rate 600 and 1200 [kbps], the throughput of HybridWMN is higher than transmission rate 100 [kbps]. For transmission rate 100 [kbps], the delay and jitter of Hybrid WMN is lower than other transmission rates. For transmission rate 100 [kbps], the fairness index of I/B WMN is higher than other transmission rates.
KeywordsTransmission Rate Medium Access Control Wireless Mesh Network Mesh Router Fairness Index
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.I.F. Akyildiz, X. Wang, W. Wang, “Wireless Mesh Networks: A Survey”, In Computer Networks, Vol. 47, No. 4, pp. 445-487, 2005.Google Scholar
- 2.A. Franklin, C. Murthy “Node Placement Algorithm for Deployment of Two-Tier Wireless Mesh Networks”, In: IEEE GLOBECOM-2007, pp. 4823-4827, 2007.Google Scholar
- 3.S. N. Muthaiah and C. Rosenberg, “Single Gateway Placement in Wireless Mesh Networks”, In Proc. of 8th International IEEE Symposium on Computer Networks, Turkey, pp. 4754-4759, 2008.Google Scholar
- 4.M. Tang, “Gateways Placement in Backbone Wireless Mesh Networks”, International Journal of Communications, Network and System Sciences, Vol. 2, No.1, pp. 45-50, 2009.Google Scholar
- 5.T. Vanhatupa, M. Hännikäinen and T.D. Hämäläinen, “Genetic Algorithm to Optimize Node Placement and Configuration for WLAN Planning”, In Proc. of 4th International Symposium on Wireless Communication Systems, pp. 612-616, 2007.Google Scholar
- 6.A. Lim, B. Rodrigues, F.Wang and Zh. Xua, “k–Center Problems with Minimum Coverage”, Theoretical Computer Science, Vol. 332, No. 1-3, pp. 1-17, 2005.Google Scholar
- 7.J. Wang, B. Xie, K. Cai and D. P. Agrawal, “Efficient Mesh Router Placement in Wireless Mesh Networks”, MASS, Pisa, Italy, pp. 9-11, 2007.Google Scholar
- 8.T. Oda, A. Barolli, F. Xhafa, L. Barolli, M. Ikeda, M. Takizawa, “WMN-GA: A Simulation System for WMNs and Its Evaluation Considering Selection Operators”, Journal of Ambient Intelligence and Humanized Computing (JAIHC), Springer, Vol. 4, No. 3, pp. 323-330, June 2013Google Scholar
- 9.M. Ikeda, T. Oda, E. Kulla, M. Hiyama, L. Barolli and M. Younas, “Performance Evaluation of WMN Considering Number of Connections Using NS-3 Simulator”, The Third International Workshop on Methods, Analysis and Protocols forWireless Communication (MAPWC 2012), pp. 498-502, Victoria, Canada, November 12-14, 2012.Google Scholar
- 10.T. Oda, D. Elmazi, A. Barolli, S. Sakamoto, L. Barolli, F. Xhafa, “A Genetic Algorithm Based System forWireless Mesh Networks: Analysis of System Data Considering Different Routing Protocols and Architectures”, Journal of Soft Computing (SOCO), Springer, Published online: 31 March 2015, DOI: 10.1007/s00500-015-1663-z, pp. 1-14, 2015.Google Scholar
- 11.T. Oda, Y. Liu, S. Sakamoto, D. Elmazi, L. Barolli, F. Xhafa, “Analysis of Mesh Router Placement in Wireless Mesh Networks Using Friedman Test Considering Different Metaheuristics”, International Journal of Communication Networks and Distributed Systems (IJCNDS), Inderscience, Vol. 15, No. 1, pp. 84-106, 2015.Google Scholar
- 12.F. Xhafa, C. Sanchez, and L. Barolli, “Locals Search Algorithms for Efficient Router Nodes Placement in Wireless Mesh Networks”, in International Conference on Network-Based Information Systems (NBiS), pp. 572-579, 2009.Google Scholar
- 13.T. Oda, A. Barolli, E. Spaho, L. Barolli, F. Xhafa, “Analysis of Mesh Router Placement in Wireless Mesh Networks Using Friedman Test”, Proc. of The 28th IEEE International Conference on Advanced Information Networking and Applications (IEEE AINA), pp. 289-296, Victoria, Canada, May 2014,Google Scholar
- 14.T. Oda, S. Sakamoto, A. Barolli, M. Ikeda, L. Barolli, F. Xhafa, “A GA-Based Simulation System for WMNs: Performance Analysis for Different WMN Architectures Considering TCP”, 2014 Eighth International Conference on Broadband and Wireless Computing, Communication and Applications (BWCCA), pp. 120-126, Guangzhou, China, November 2014.Google Scholar
- 15.T. Oda, A. Barolli, E. Spaho, F. Xhafa, L. Barolli, M. Takizawa, ”Evaluation of WMN-GA for Different Mutation Operators”, International Journal of Space-Based and Situated Computing (IJSSC), Inderscience, Vol. 2. No. 3, pp. 149-157, 2012.Google Scholar
- 16.“ns-3”, https://www.nsnam.org/.
- 17.“The Network Simulator-ns-2”, http://www.isi.edu/nsnam/ns/.
- 18.IEEE 802.11, “Wireless LAN Medium Access Control (MAC) and Physical Layer (PHY) Specifications”, IEEE Computer Society Std., June 2007. [Online]. Available: http://standards.ieee.org/getieee802/download/802.11-2007.pdf
- 19.T. Clausen and P. Jacquet, “Optimized Link State Routing Protocol (OLSR)”, RFC 3626 (Experimental), 2003.Google Scholar