Doing: Exploring the Lost Streams of Vancouver Through Eco-Art
- 403 Downloads
“Doing” is a (re)storying and recounting of a yearlong action research project undertaken with a Grade 4/5/6 class in order to inquire, learn, and teach Environmental Education (EE) through the creation of an eco-art installation around the Lost Streams of Vancouver. Using the figuration of the salmon, the author attempted to (re)imagine education as a process of metamorphosis in which diverse bodies and beings grow and adapt to new environments, a collective becoming with. Exploring and creating various eco-art projects throughout the year provided openings for other stories and otherworldly conversations, opening up the formal curricula to practices of experimentation, collaboration, patience, and to discovering the creative agential world outside the classroom.
KeywordsEco-art Salmon Currere Lost streams Environmental education
- Alaimo, Stacy, and Susan J. Hekman. 2008. Material Feminisms. Bloomington, IN: Indiana University Press.Google Scholar
- Booth, Chris. 2015. “Chris Booth Sculptor [Website].” Accessed February 20, 2015. http://www.chrisbooth.co.nz/view-works/nac%CC%93%CE%B8%C9%99t%C9%99%C9%ACp-transformation-plant/.
- Bower, Sam. 2010. “A Profusion of Terms.” greenmuseum.org, May 7. http://greenmuseum.org/generic_content.php?ct_id=306
- Braidotti, Rosi. 2002. Metamorphoses: Towards a Materialist Theory of Becoming. Cambridge, MA: Blackwell Publishers.Google Scholar
- Braidotti, Rosi. 2011. Nomadic Subjects: Embodiment and Sexual Difference in Contemporary Feminist Theory. 2nd ed. New York, NY: Columbia University Press.Google Scholar
- Brown, Andrew. 2014. Art & Ecology Now. New York, NY: Thames & Hudson.Google Scholar
- Dennis, Michael. 2012. “Michael Dennis Sculpture [Website].” Accessed February 20, 2015. http://mdennissculpture.com/.
- Dennis, Michael. 2015. “Michael Dennis: About the Artist.” Duthie Gallery, 20 February. http://www.duthiegallery.com/artists/michael-dennis/.
- Fass, Dan. 2009. “Historical Walking Tour of Gibson Creek Through Kensington-Cedar Cottage [PDF].” Accessed February 15, 2015. http://www.vcn.bc.ca/gibbys/docs/GFS_09Nov_Booklet.pdf.
- Fass, Dan. 2010. “Gibby’s Field, Moses Gibson, and Gibson Creek [PDF].” Accessed February 15, 2015. http://www.vcn.bc.ca/gibbys/docs/GFS_10Jan03_Article.pdf.
- Fawcett, Leesa. 2000. “Ethical Imagining: Ecofeminist Possibilities and Environmental Learning.” Canadian Journal of Environmental Education 5(1): 134–147.Google Scholar
- Gilbert, Scott F., Emily McDonald, Nicole Boyle, Nicholas Buttino, Lin Gyi, Mark Mai, Neelakantan Prakash, and James Robinson. 2010. “Symbiosis as a Source of Selectable Epigenetic Variation: Taking the Heat for the Big Guy.” Philosophical Transactions: Biological Sciences 365(1540): 671–678. doi: 10.1098/rstb.2009.0245.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Haraway, Donna J. 2003. The Companion Species Manifesto: Dogs, People, and Significant Otherness. Chicago, IL: Prickly Paradigm.Google Scholar
- Haraway, Donna J. 2004. The Haraway Reader. New York, NY: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Haraway, Donna J. 2008a. “Otherworldly Conversations, Terran Topics, Local Terms.” In Material Feminisms, edited by Stacy Alaimo and Susan J. Hekman, 157–187. Bloomington, IN: Indiana University Press.Google Scholar
- Haraway, Donna J. 2008b. When Species Meet. Minneapolis, MN: University of Minnesota Press.Google Scholar
- Haraway, Donna J. 2013. “Sowing Worlds: A Seed Bag for Terraforming with Earth Others.” In Beyond the Cyborg: Adventures with Donna Haraway, edited by Margret Grebowicz and Helen Merrick, 183–195. New York, NY: Columbia University Press.Google Scholar
- Haraway, Donna J. 2014. SF: String Figures, Multispecies Muddles, Staying with the Trouble. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1uTVnhIHS8.
- Hogan, Linda. 1995. Dwellings: A Spiritual History of the Living World. 1st ed. New York, NY: W.W. Norton.Google Scholar
- Kauffman, Stuart A. 1995. At Home in the Universe: The Search for Laws of Self-Organization and Complexity. New York, NY: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Le Guin, Ursula K. 1982. The Compass Rose: Short Stories. 1st ed. New York, NY: Harper & Row.Google Scholar
- Margulis, Lynn. 1998. Symbiotic Planet: A New Look at Evolution. 1st ed. New York, NY: Basic Books.Google Scholar
- OED Online. Oxford University Press. Accessed June 2015. http://www.oed.com.
- Pinar, William F. 2015. Educational Experience as Lived: Knowledge, History, Alterity: The Selected Works of William F. Pinar. New York, NY: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Riedelsheimer, Thomas. 2002. Rivers and Tides: Andy Goldsworthy Working with Time. Roxie Releasing.Google Scholar
- Rowe, Dan. 2003. “Michael Dennis’ Bodies of Work.” Vancouver Sun, April 15. http://www.dianefarrisgallery.com/artist/dennis/ex03/press.html.
- Sloman, Aaron. 2012. “Meta-morphogenesis and the Creativity of Evolution.” European Conference on Artificial Intelligence, Montpellier, France. August 27–31.Google Scholar
- Twellmann, Urs-P. 2013. “Urs-P. Twellamnn [Website].” Accessed January 10, 2015. http://www.twellmann.ch/fs-e/welcome.html.