Privacy Preserving Consensus-Based Economic Dispatch in Smart Grid Systems
Economic dispatch is a well-known optimization problem in smart grid systems which aims at minimizing the total cost of power generation among generation units while maintaining some system constraints. Recently, some distributed consensus-based approaches have been proposed to replace traditional centralized calculation. However, existing approaches fail to protect privacy of individual units like cost function parameters, generator constraints, output power levels, etc. In this paper, we show an attack against an existing consensus-based economic dispatch algorithm from  assuming semi-honest non-colluding adversaries. Then we propose a simple solution by combining a secure sum protocol and the consensus-based economic dispatch algorithm that guarantees data privacy under the same attacker model. Our Privacy Preserving Economic Dispatch (PPED) protocol is information-theoretically secure.
KeywordsPrivacy Economic load dispatch Critical infrastructure protection Consensus algorithm Smart grid Secure multi-party computation
The author would like to thank Erik Zenner and Frederik Armknecht for the helpful discussions on security analysis.
- 3.Bickson, D., Dolev, D., Bezman, G., Pinkas, B.: Peer-to-peer secure multi-party numerical computation. In: 2008 Eighth International Conference on Peer-to-Peer Computing, pp. 257–266. IEEE (2008)Google Scholar
- 6.Dominguez-Garcia, A.D., Cady, S.T., Hadjicostis, C.N.: Decentralized optimal dispatch of distributed energy resources. In: 2012 IEEE 51st Annual Conference on Decision and Control (CDC), pp. 3688–3693. IEEE (2012)Google Scholar
- 9.Huang, Z., Mitra, S., Vaidya, N.: Differentially private distributed optimization. In: Proceedings of the 2015 International Conference on Distributed Computing and Networking, p. 4. ACM (2015)Google Scholar
- 12.Li, F., Luo, B., Liu, P.: Secure information aggregation for smart grids using homomorphic encryption. In: 2010 First IEEE International Conference on Smart Grid Communications (SmartGridComm), pp. 327–332. IEEE (2010)Google Scholar
- 13.Lindell, Y., Pinkas, B.: Secure multiparty computation for privacy-preserving data mining. J. Priv. Confidentiality 1(1), 5 (2009)Google Scholar
- 15.Wood, A.J., Wollenberg, B.F.: Power Generation Operation and Control. A Wiley-Interscience publication. Wiley, Hoboken (1996)Google Scholar