The Panic Figure and the Psychopath: A Psychical Correspondence
In Mindhunter , Douglas (1996) promotes his idea of criminal profiling as superior to psychiatric evaluation by relating an interview with a repeat offender, Gary Trapnell: “He [Trapnell] said that if I gave him a copy of the current edition of DSM, the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, and pointed to any condition … he could convince any psychiatrist that he was genuinely suffering from the affliction,” an event that led Douglas to create the Crime Classification Manual (CCM) (pp. 346–347).
- Baldwin, James. 1986. The Evidence of Things Not Seen. New York: Henry Holt and Company.Google Scholar
- Baretta. 1975. Internet Movie Database. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0072471/?ref_=nv_sr_1. Accessed 5 April 2015.
- “Beretta.” Fabbrica d’Armi Pietro Beretta. http://www.beretta.com/en-us/. Accessed 5 April 2015.
- Blessing, Lee. 1991. Down the Road. New York: Dramatists Play Service.Google Scholar
- Cornwell, Patricia. 1990/2010. Postmortem. London: Sphere.Google Scholar
- Douglas, John E., Ann Burgess, et al. 1988. Sexual Homicide: Patterns and Motives. D. C. Heath and Co: Lexington.Google Scholar
- Douglas, John E., and Mark Olshaker. 1996. Mindhunter: Inside the FBI’s Elite Serial Crime Unit. New York: Pocket Books.Google Scholar
- Douglas, John E., Ann Burgess, Allen G. Burgess, et al. 1997. Crime Classification Manual. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass Publishers.Google Scholar
- Ebert, Roger. 1997. Review of Switchback. Rogerebert.com. Accessed 24 June 2017.Google Scholar
- Hare, Robert D. 1966. “Psychopathy and Choice of Immediate Versus Delayed Punishment.” Journal of Abnormal Psychology 71 (1): 25–29. Accessed 9 June 2017.Google Scholar
- ———. 1978. “Psychopathy and Crime.” In Colloquium on the Correlates of Crime and the Determinants of Criminal Behavior, Proceedings of the National Institute of Law Enforcement and Criminal Justice, ed. Laura Otten. National Crime Reference Service. McLean: The MITRE Corp. https://www.ncjrs.gov/pdffiles1/Digitization/142631NCJRS.pdf. Accessed 8 June 2017.
- ———. 1980. “A Research Scale for the Assessment of Psychopathy in Criminal Populations.” Personality and Individual Differences 1: 111–119. Accessed 7 June 2017.Google Scholar
- ———. 1991. The Hare Psychopathy Checklist Revised. North Tonawanda: Multi-Health Systems.Google Scholar
- ———. 1993/1998. Without Conscience: The Disturbing World of the Psychopaths Among Us. New York: The Guilford Press.Google Scholar
- Isaacs, Susan. 1943. “The Nature and Function of Phantasy.” In The Freud-Klein Controversies 1941–1945, ed. P. King and R. Steiner. London: Routledge, 1991.Google Scholar
- Jenkins, Philip. 1994. Using Murder: The Social Construction of Serial Homicide. New Brunswick: Aldine Transaction.Google Scholar
- Kosson, David S., Steven S. Smith, and Joseph P. Newman. 1990. “Evaluating the Construct Validity of Psychopathy in Black and White Male Inmates: Three Preliminary Studies.” Journal of Abnormal Psychology 90 (3): 250–259. Accessed 2 May 2015.Google Scholar
- Lighty, Tom. 1999. “On the Record: John Douglas, Criminal Profiler.” Chicago Tribune, Aug 15.Google Scholar
- Link, Bruce G., Howard Andrews, and Francis T. Cullen. 1992. “The Violent and Illegal Behavior of Mental Patients Reconsidered.” American Sociological Review 57 (3): 275–292. Accessed 8 Dec 2013.Google Scholar
- Meloy, J. Reid. 2002. The Psychopathic Mind: Origins, Dynamics, and Treatment. Lanham: Rowan and Littlefield.Google Scholar
- Rhodes, Lorna A. 2004. Total Confinement: Madness and Reason Inside the Maximum Security Prison. Berkeley: University of California Press.Google Scholar
- Segal, Julia. 1985. Phantasy in Everyday Life: A Psychoanalytical Approach to Understanding Ourselves. New York: Penguin.Google Scholar
- Se7en. 1995. Directed by David Fincher.Google Scholar
- Switchback. 1997. Directed by Jeb Stuart.Google Scholar
- Vitello, Corey J., and Eric W. Hickey. 2006. The Myth of a Psychiatric Crime Wave. Durham: Carolina Academic Press.Google Scholar
- Wacquant, Loïc. 2001. “Deadly Symbiosis: When Ghetto and Prison Meet and Mesh.” Punishment and Society 3 (1): 95–134. Accessed 23 June 2017.Google Scholar
- Walker, Andrew Kevin. 1992. Se7en. Internet Movie Script Database (IMSDB). http://www.imsdb.com/scripts/Se7en.html. Accessed 6 April 2015.
- Walsh, Anthony. 2005. “African Americans and Serial Killing in the Media: The Myth and the Reality.” Homicide Studies 9 (4): 271–291. doi: 10.1177/1088767905280080. Accessed 24 June 2017.
- Woolf, Pamela. 2002. Introduction to The Grasmere and Alfoxden Journals by Dorothy Wordsworth. Oxford: Oxford University press, ix-xxi.Google Scholar