Heuristic Approach for Face Recognition using Artificial Bee Colony Optimization
Artificial Bee Colony (ABC) algorithm is inspired by the intelligent behavior of the bees to optimize their search for food resources. It is a lately developed algorithm in Swarm Intelligence (SI) that outperforms many of the established and widely used algorithms like Genetic Algorithm (GA) and Particle Swarm Optimization (PSO) under SI. ABC is being applied in diverse areas to improve performance. Many hybrids of ABC have evolved over the years to overcome its weaknesses and better suit applications. In this paper ABC is being applied to the field of Face Recognition, which remains largely unexplored in context of ABC algorithm. The paper describes the challenges and methodology used to adapt ABC to Face Recognition. In this paper, features are extracted by first applying Gabor Filter. On the features obtained, PCA (Principal Component Analysis) is applied to reduce their dimensionality. A modified version of ABC is then used on the feature vectors to search for best match to test image in the given database.
KeywordsParticle Swarm Optimization Face Recognition Swarm Intelligence Gabor Filter Face Recognition System
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Mishra, Er AK, Dr MN Das, and Dr TC Panda. “Swarm intelligence optimization: editorial survey.” International Journal of Emerging Technology and Advanced Engineering 3.1 (2013).Google Scholar
- 2.Keerthi, S., K. Ashwini, and M. V. Vijaykumar. “Survey Paper on Swarm Intelligence.” International Journal of Computer Applications 115.5 (2015).Google Scholar
- 3.S. Ajorlou, I. Shams, and M.G. Aryanezhad. Optimization of a multiproduct conwip-based manufacturing system using artificial bee colony approach. Pro-ceedings of the International Multi-Conference of Engineers and Computer Scien-tists, 2, 2011Google Scholar
- 4.Sagar Tiwari, SamtaGajbhiye,”Algorithm of Swarm Intelligence Using Data Clustering”, International Journal of Computer Science and Information Tech-nologies, Vol. 4 (4), 2013, Page no 549 - 552Google Scholar
- 5.Karaboga, Dervis. “Artificial bee colony al-gorithm.”scholarpedia 5.3 (2010): 6915.Google Scholar
- 6.Karaboga, Dervis, and BahriyeBasturk. “ A Powerful and Efficient Algorithm for Numerical Function Optimization: Artificial Bee Colony (ABC) Algorithm.”, Journal of Global Optimization (2007), 12 Apr. 2007Google Scholar
- 7.Karaboga, Dervis, BeyzaGorkemli, CelalOzturk, and NurhanKaraboga. “A Comprehensive Survey: Artificial Bee Colony (ABC) Algorithm and Applica-tions.” Artificial Intelligence Review 42.1 (2012),11 March 2012Google Scholar
- 8.Bolaji, AsajuLa’Aro, and AhamadTajudinKhader. “Artificial Bee Colony Algoritm, Its Variants and Application: A Survey.” Journal of Theoretical and Applied Information Technology, Vol. 47, Issue 2, 20 Jan. 2013,Pages 434-59.Google Scholar
- 9.Karaboga, D., and B. B. Akay. “Arti-ficial bee colony (ABC) algorithm homepage.” Intelligent Systems Research Group, Department of Computer Engineering, Erciyes University, Turkiye(2009).Google Scholar
- 10.Chakrabarty, Ankush, Harsh Jain, and Amitava Chatterjee. “Volterra Kernel Based Face Recognition Using Artificial Bee Colonyoptimization.” Engineering Applications of Artificial Intelligencem, Vol.26, Issue 3, March 2013, Pages 1107–1114Google Scholar
- 11.Simerpreet Kaur, RupinderKaur,”An Approach to Detect and Recognize Face using Swarm Intelligence and Gabor Filter”,International Journal of Advanced Research in Computer Science and Software Engineering,Volume 4, Issue 6, June 2014Google Scholar
- 12.Mohammed Hasan Abdulameer,”A Modified Active Appearance Model Based on an Adaptive Artificial Bee Colony”,Hindawi Publishing Corporation Scientific World Journal, 2014Google Scholar
- 13.Gupta, Daya, LavikaGoel, and Abhishek Abhishek. “An Efficient Biogeography Based Face Recognition Algorithm.” 2nd International Conference on Advances in Computer Science and Engineering (CSE 2013). Atlantis Press, 2013.Google Scholar
- 14.“Popular Face Data Sets in Matlab Format.” Popular Face Data Sets in Matlab Format. AT&T Laboratories Cambridge, n.d. Web. 27 May 2016.Google Scholar
- 15.Bahurupi, Saurabh P., and D. S. Chaudhari. “Principal component analysis for face recognition.” International Journal of Engineering and Advanced Technology (IJEAT) ISSN (2012): 2249-8958.APAGoogle Scholar
- 16.Abdullah, Manal, MajdaWazzan, and Sahar Bo-saeed. “Optimizing face recognition using PCA.”arXiv preprint arXiv:1206.1515 (2012).
- 17.Abu-Mouti, Fahad S., and Mohamed E. El-Hawary. “Overview of Artificial Bee Colony (ABC) algorithm and its applications.” Systems Conference (Sys-Con), 2012 IEEE International. IEEE, 2012.Google Scholar
- 18.Yuan, Yanhua, and Yuanguo Zhu. “A hybrid artificial bee colony optimization algorithm.”Natural Computation (ICNC), 2014 10th International Conference on. IEEE, 2014.Google Scholar
- 19.Hu, Wenxin, Ye Wang, and Jun Zheng. “Research on warehouse allocation problem based on the Artificial Bee Colony inspired particle swarm optimization (ABC-PSO) algo-rithm.” Computational Intelligence and Design (ISCID), 2012 Fifth International Symposium on. Vol. 1. IEEE, 2012.Google Scholar
- 20.Li, Mengwei, HaibinDuan, and Dalong Shi. “Hybrid Artificial Bee Colony and Particle Swarm Optimization Approach to Protein Secondary Structure Prediction.” Intelligent Control and Automation (WCICA), 2012 10th World Congress on. IEEE, 2012.Google Scholar