Transferable Skills in Technical and Vocational Education and Training (TVET) and Vocational Teacher Education (VTE): A Case Study of Thailand
The study aims to investigate the policies pertaining to transferable skills in TVET and curriculum for VTE in Thailand. Secondary data collection method was employed by which the existing acts and policies on education, the relevant agencies and reports on transferrable skills were reviewed. Further, the Thailand’s Vocational Education Commissions’ curricula also analysed using content analysis method. The findings of the study revealed that, even though notable initiatives and reforms taken at the policy level, still improvements are essential at implementation level. The findings are discussed with possible recommendations to take required measures at government, institutional and instructor levels.
KeywordsProfessional Ethic Entry Level Transferable Skill External Quality Assurance Qualification Framework
We are deeply grateful to Professor Dr. Matthias Pilz, Director of German Research Center for Comparative Vocational Education and Training, University of Cologne and Dr. Susanne Berger for their significant and continuous advice and their patient in proofreading which led to the project’s success. Furthermore, we also sincerely thank The German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) for partial funding and the reviewers who have made fruitful comments for this paper.
We would also like to extend our sincere thanks to Rajamangala University of Technology Thanyaburi for giving the best opportunity for us and to support funding for presentation this paper at Youth in Transition: VET in time Economic Crisis 2nd International G.R.E.A.T. Conference University of Cologne 22–24 September 2014.
Special thank for Assistant Professor Dr. Somporn Jenkunawat, Faculty of Agricultural, Rajamangala University of Technology Thanyaburi for her helpful suggestions and corrections on writing and the authors of information resources using in this paper. In addition, we would like to thank those whose names are not mentioned here but have greatly inspired and encouraged which help us in completion and success of this project.
- Constitution Drafting Commission, Constituent Assembly. (2007). Constitution of the Kingdom of Thailand, B.E. 2550 (2007). https://www.unodc.org/tldb/pdf/Thailand_const_2007.pdf. Accessed 30 Jun 2013.
- Geng, Y., & Bai, B. (2014). Transferable skills in technical and vocational education and training: Policy and practice in China. http://www.tvet-online.asia/issue/3/bai-geng. Accessed 06 Jan 2016.
- Higher Education Commission. (2006). National qualifications framework for higher education in Thailand: Implementation handbook. http://www.mua.go.th/users/tqf-hed/news/FilesNews/FilesNews8/NQF-HEd.pdf. Accessed 05 May 2015.
- Ministry of Education. (2013). Thai qualification framework for vocational education. http://bsq2.vec.go.th/crouse_manage/%E0%B8%AD%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%8A%E0%B8%B5%E0%B8%A7%E0%B8%A8%E0%B8%B6%E0%B8%81%E0%B8%A9%E0%B8%B2%E0%B9%81%E0%B8%AB%E0%B9%88%E0%B8%87%E0%B8%8A%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%95%E0%B8%B456.PDF. Accessed 23 Sep 2013.
- Office of the National Education Commission. (1999). National Education Act B.E. 2542. http://planipolis.iiep.unesco.org/upload/Thailand/Thailand_Education_Act_1999.pdf. Accessed 06 Jan 2016.
- Office of the National Education Commission. (2010). National Education Act B.E. 2553 (second amendment). https://www.ilo.org/dyn/natlex/docs/ELECTRONIC/89336/109391/F1120325691/THA89336%20Eng.pdf. Accessed 06 Jan 2016.
- Office of the National Education Commission, Office of the Prime Minister, Thailand. (2014). National Education Act. http://planipolis.iiep.unesco.org/upload/Thailand/Thailand_Education_Act_1999.pdf. Accessed 27 Mar 2015.
- Office of the Teacher Council of Thailand. (2003). Teachers and Educational Personnel Council Act B.E. 2546 (2003). http://www.ksp.or.th/download-file.php?Action=download&DataID=301. Accessed 09 Apr 2015.
- Office of Vocational Education Commission (OVEC). (2008). Vocational Education Act B.E. 2551. http://www.vec.go.th/ Portals/0/Doc/Low/vec_law_2.pdf. Accessed 07 Oct 2013.
- Office of Vocational Education Commission (OVEC). (2012). Vocational education standards B.E. 2555 (2012). Accessed 12 Sep 2013.Google Scholar
- Thailand Professional Qualification Institute (Public Organization). (2013a). About professional qualification. http://www.tpqi.go.th/en/. Accessed 19 Sep 2013.
- Thailand Professional Qualification Institute (Public Organization). (2013b). Project on identification of occupational standards and vocational qualification of information and communication technology between Thailand Professional Qualification Institute (Public Organization) and King Monkut University of Technology North Bangkok.Google Scholar
- The Ministry of Labour. (2002). Skill development promotion Act, B.E. 2545 (2002) http://thailaws.com/law/t_laws/tlaw0406.pdf. Accessed 09 Apr 2015.
- The Ministry of Labour. (2015). National industry skill standard. http://www.thaigov.go.th/index.php/en/issues/item/91851-91851.html. Accessed 08 Dec 2015.
- UNESCO. (2011). UNESCO National Education Support Strategy (UNESS) Thailand. http://www.unescobkk.org/education/resources/resources/education-system-profiles/thailand/higher-tvet/. Accessed 25 Mar 2015.