Temporal Excitation Patterns on the Cerebral Cortex as a Result of Migraine Modeling
The complex, highly individual, geometry of the cerebral cortex in humans presents a major challenge in studying the spreading of spontaneous neuronal activity. Recent computational advances  allow to simulate the propagation of depolarization waves on the macroscale and for individual geometries, reconstructed from accurate medical imaging as MRI, with high levels of detail. In this paper we take advantage of such technique to study the temporal excitation patterns that follow the passage of a depolarization wave on the cerebral cortex.
KeywordsFiring Rate Transient Global Amnesia Excitation Pattern Excited Region Depolarization Wave
This work was supported by the Bizkaia Talent and European Commission through COFUND under the grant BRAhMS – Brain Aura Mathematical Simulation– (AYD-000-285), and also by the Basque Government through the BERC 2014–2017 program, and by the Spanish Ministry of Economics and Competitiveness MINECO: BCAM Severo Ochoa excellence accreditation SEV-2013-0323. JMC acknowledges financial support from Ikerbasque: The Basque Foundation for Science and Euskampus at UPV/EHU.
- 1.Kroos, J.M., Diez, I., Cortes, J.M., Stramaglia, S., Gerardo-Giorda, L.: Geometry shapes propagation: assessing the presence and absence of cortical symmetries through a computational model of cortical spreading depression. Front. Comput. Neurosci. 10, 6 (2016). doi: 10.3389/fncom.2016.00006 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 2.Leão, A.: Spreading depression of activity in the cerebral cortex. J. Neurophysiol. 7, 391–396 (1944)Google Scholar
- 3.Leão, A.: Further observations on the spreading depression of activity in the cerebral cortex. J. Neurophysiol. 10, 409–414 (1947)Google Scholar
- 5.Hadjikhani, N., Sanchez del Rio, M., Wu, O., Schwartz, D., Bakker, D., Fischl, B., Kwong, K.K., Cutrer, F.M., Rosen, B.R., Tootell, R.B.H., Sorensen, A.G., Maskowitz, M.A.: Mechnisms of migraine aura revealed by functional MRI in human visual cortex. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 98, 4687–4692 (2001). doi: 10.1073/pnas.071582498 ADSCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 7.Sramka, M., Brozek, G., Bures, J., Nadvornik, P.: Functional ablation by spreading depression: possible use in human stereotactic neurosurgery. Appl. Neurophysiol. 30, 589–596 (1977)Google Scholar
- 9.Dahlem, M., Schmidt, B., Bojak, I., Boie, F., Kneer, S., Hadjikhani, N., Kurths, J.: Cortical hot spots and labyrinths: why cortical neuromodulation for episodic migraine with aura should be personalized. Front Comput. Neurosci. 9 (2015). doi: 10.3389/fncom.2015.00029
- 14.Quarteroni, V., Valli, A.: Numer. Approx. Partial Differ. Equ. Springer, Berlin (1994)Google Scholar
- 17.Brodmann, K.: Brodmann’s Localisation in the Cerebral Cortex - The Principles of Comparative Localisation in the Cerebral Cortex Based on Cytoarchitectonics. Springer, Heidelberg (2006)Google Scholar
- 18.Saad, Y.: Iterative Methods for Sparse Linear Systems. SIAM (2003)Google Scholar