Past as a Metaphor in the New Utopian Imaginations of Heritage in Kerala
- 332 Downloads
Varghese interrogates the new imaginations and practices around heritage that have crystallized in the South Indian state of Kerala in the context of the international art exhibition, the Kochi-Muziris Biennale. She shows how, by building a past narrative of happy cosmopolitanism and bestowing it with time depth, the host city of Kochi is cast anew as “Kochi-Muziris.” This new formulation contains within it the potentiality to achieve a utopian ideal. However, this occurs through a process of narrative exclusion and re-appropriation that plays with the temporal and territorial notions of Kochi’s past and through a selective privileging of places.
KeywordsHost City Utopian Imagination South Indian State Ancient Port Indian Ocean Trade
- Abraham, Tanya. 2009. Fort Cochin: History and Untold Stories. Kochi: Ink on Paper.Google Scholar
- Adarsh, C. 2013. Vibhavanakal Vinimayangal: Kodungalloorinte Vyavaharika Bhoomisasthram. Sukapuram: Vallathol Vidyapeetham.Google Scholar
- Vienna Biennale 2015: Ideas for Change. 2016. Mission and Introduction. Accessed 31 March. http://www.viennabiennale.org/.
- La Biennale. 2016. History of the Venice Biennale. Accessed 4 March. http://www.labiennale.org/en/biennale/history/.
- Bloch, Ernst. 1995. The Principle of Hope, Vol. 1. Trans. Neville Plaice, Stephen Plaice, and Paul Knight. Reprint ed. Cambridge: The MIT Press.Google Scholar
- Bristow, Robert. 1959. Cochin Saga. Cochin: Paico Publishing House.Google Scholar
- Cherian, P.J., K.P. Shajan, and V. Selvakumar. 2006. Pattanam Muziris Thanneyo? AdhAram: The Journal for Kerala Archaeology and History 1: 50–59.Google Scholar
- Department of Tourism, Government of Kerala. n.d. Muziris Heritage Site. Accessed 13 August 2012. https://www.keralatourism.org/muziris/.
- ———. 2016a. Cochin Chronicle. Accessed 23 April. http://www.keralatourism.org/kochi/.
- ———. 2016b. Special Tourism Zone Fort Kochi: Guidelines for Conservation and Preservation. Accessed 24 July. https://www.keralatourism.org/tourismzone/FortKkochi.pdf.
- Director, K.S.I.C.L. n.d. Muziris, Past Perfect, Present Continuous. Thiruvananthapuram: KSICL for Muziris Heritage project.Google Scholar
- Eizenberg, Efrat, and Nir Cohen. 2015. Reconstructing Urban Image through Cultural Flagship Events: The Case of Bat-Yam. Cities 42, Part A (February): 54–62. doi: 10.1016/j.cities.2014.09.003.
- Hobsbawm, Eric, and Terence Ranger, ed. 1983. The Invention of Tradition. New York: Cambridge University Press.Google Scholar
- Iqbal, Sabin, ed. 2012. Kochi Muziris Biennale: Against All Odds. Kottayam: DC Books.Google Scholar
- Jeyachandran, Neelima. 2014. Memory, Heritage, and Cultural Display in the Former Colonial Port Cities of Elmina (Ghana) and Fort Kochi (India). PhD diss., University of California, Los Angeles.Google Scholar
- Karatchkova, Elena. 2007. Ghost Towns and Bustling Cities: Constructing a Master Narrative in Nineteenth-Century Jaipur. In Raj Rhapsodies: Tourism, Heritage, and the Seduction of History, eds. Carol E. Henderson and Maxine Weisgrau, 27–46. Hampshire and Burlington: Ashgate.Google Scholar
- Kirshenblatt-Gimblett, Barbara. 1995. Theorizing Heritage. Ethnomusicology 39(3): 367–80.Google Scholar
- Kleingeld, Pauline, and Eric Brown. 2014. Cosmopolitanism. In The Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy, ed. Edward N. Zalta, Fall. http://plato.stanford.edu/archives/fall2014/entries/cosmopolitanism/.
- Kochi Muziris Biennale. 2016a. Mission Statement. Accessed 29 March. http://www.kochimuzirisbiennale.org/mission-statement/.
- ———. 2016b. Chuvadifest 2014 (2014-12-30).” Accessed 4 May. http://kochimuzirisbiennale.org/event/chuvadifest-2014-5/.
- Luis, Sandip K. 2014. Disappearing Strands of Historicity: Critical Notes on the Kochi-Muziris Biennale. Economic and Political Weekly XLIX(20): 55–61.Google Scholar
- Menon, C. Achyuta. 1911. The Cochin State Manual. Edited by S. Raimon. Thiruvananthapuram: Kerala Gazetteers Dept.Google Scholar
- Munoz, Jose Esteban. 2009. Cruising Utopia: The Then and There of Queer Futurity. New York: New York University Press.Google Scholar
- Shajan, K.P. 1998. Studies on the Late Quaternary Sediments and Sea Level Changes of the Central Kerala Coast, India. PhD in Marine Geology, Kochi: Department of Marine Geology and Geophysics, School of Marine Sciences, Cochin University of Science and Technology.Google Scholar
- Sundaram, Vivan. 2012. Black Gold. Installation and Videography. Installation: 17 ft × 35 ft × 1 ft; Video: 13 mins, 3 projections 8 ft × 30 ft.Google Scholar
- Varghese, Mathew A. 2012. Spatial Reconfigurations and New Social Formations: The Contemporary Urban Context of Kerala. PhD. diss., University of Bergen, Norway.Google Scholar
- Varghese, Rachel A. 2015. Archaeology and the New Imaginations of the Past: Understanding the Muziris Heritage Project. In Kerala Modernity: Ideas, Spaces and Practices in Transition, eds. Satheese Chandra Bose and Shiju Sam Varughese, 179–199. Delhi: Orient BlackSwan.Google Scholar