Athlete Domestic Violence in Sport
- 559 Downloads
This chapter explores the underexplored area of athlete domestic violence (ADV). Much literature in this field has focused on the relationship between sports events and an increase in domestic violence reports. Arguments around consenting age, duty of care and professional standards are considered in the appropriateness of developing a romantic relationship with an athlete. In the case of Bella, who was groomed and sexually abused, if the sexual abuse continues then it becomes more complex and can develop into ADV. The Duluth model (the power and control wheel) and Karpman’s drama triangle are discussed as ways to understand tactics employed by the abuser. Bella’s story, the perspective of the abused, continues.
KeywordsAthlete domestic violence (ADV) Sport Duluth model Karpman’s drama triangle
- Addley, E. (2016). Chesterfield sign Ched Evans three months before rape retrial. The Guardian online. Available: https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/jun/20/chesterfield-sign-ched-evans-three-months-before-retrial?CMP=share_btn_fb [Accessed 1/08/16].
- Allen-Collinson, J. (2009). Intimate Intrusions Revisited: A case of intimate partner abuse and violations of the territories of the self. Qualitative Sociology Review V(1), 50–69.Google Scholar
- Bancroft, L. (2003). Why does he do that?: Inside the minds of angry and controlling men. New York: A Berkley book.Google Scholar
- Bennett, W., & Hess, K. (2006). Criminal investigation (8th Ed.). Belmont, USA: Wadsworth Publishing.Google Scholar
- Davies, K. L. (2016). Legs eleven for Danny Simpson: Premier league footballer is working as a BINGO CALLER as part of his community service for throttling his ex-girlfriend. The Daily Mail, [Online] Available: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3427850/Premier-League-footballer-Danny-Simpson-working-BINGO-CALLER-community-service-throttling-ex-girlfriend.html [Accessed 20/05/16].
- Denzin, N. K. (1990). Interpretive biography, Vol. 17. London: Sage.Google Scholar
- Dewey, J. (1933). How we think: A restatement of the reflective thinking to the educative process. Heath.Google Scholar
- Dupont, K. P. (2015). Floyd Mayweather’s history of domestic abuse hasn’t hurt fight hype. The Boston Globe [online] Available: https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2015/05/01/floyd-mayweather-history-domestic-abuse-hasn-hurt-fight-hype/G5MZVOGzsCUdOCh33oPleI/story.html [Accessed 20/05/16].
- Flood, M., & Dyson, S. (2007). Sport, athletes, and violence against women. Australian Research Centre in Sex, Health and Society, La Trobe University, republished in NTV Journal, 4(3), 37–46.Google Scholar
- Flood, M., & Pease, B. (2006). The factors influencing community attitudes in relation to violence against women: A critical review of the literature. Carlton South, Vic: VicHealth.Google Scholar
- Gibson, O., & Johnston, C. (2014). Ched Evans: Sheffield United withdraw offer of training. The Guardian [online]. Available: https://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/nov/20/ched-evans-training-offer-withdrawn-sheffield-united [Accessed 20/05/16].
- Gov.co.uk. (2016). Guidance: Domestic violence and abuse. https://www.gov.uk/guidance/domestic-violence-and-abuse [Accessed 11/10/2016]
- Johnson, S. (2014). 10 signs that you’re in a relationship with a narcissist. Psychology Today [online]. Available: https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/communication-success/201409/10-signs-youre-in-relationship-narcissist [Accessed 20/05/16].
- Karpman, S. (1968). Fairy tales and script drama analysis. Transactional Analysis Bulletin, 26(7), 39–43.Google Scholar
- Kinder, L. (2013). Floyd Mayweather: Has everyone forgotten he punched his girlfriend? The Telegraph [online]. Available: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/womens-life/10041091/Floyd-Mayweather-Has-everyone- [Accessed 20/05/16].
- Kirby, S., Greaves, L. & Hankivsky, O. (2000). The dome of silence: Sexual harassment and abuse in sport. London: Zed Books.Google Scholar
- Laville, S. (2015). 1,400 investigated in child sex abuse inquiry, including politicians. The Guardian [online]. Available: http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/may/20/1400-suspects-operation-hydrant-politician-and-celebrity-child-sex-abuse-inquiry [Accessed 12/5/2016]
- Manne, A. (2014). Narcissists are us: Why sports stars behave badly. The New Daily [online]. Available: http://thenewdaily.com.au/sport/2014/07/17/narcissists-us-sports-stars-behave-badly/ [Accessed on 20/05/16].
- McHugh, M. C., & Hanson Frieze, I. (2006). Intimate Partner Violence: New Directions. In Violence and Exploitation against Women and Girls. Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences Vol 1087, ed. F. L. Denmark, H. H. Krauss, E. Halpern and J. A. Sechzer (pp. 121–41) New York: New York Academy of Sciences.Google Scholar
- Mortimer, C. (2016). Ched Evans rape conviction quashed as Wales footballer wins appeal. The Independent [online]. Available: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/ched-evans-wins-appeal-against-rape-conviction-and-faces-retrial-a6993966.html [Accessed 20/05/16].
- Owton, H. (2016). Why sportspeople convicted of violence against women forfeit their right to be ‘stars’. The Conversation [online]. Available: https://theconversation.com/why-sportspeople-convicted-of-violence-against-women-forfeit-their-right-to-be-stars-53673 [Accessed 20/05/16].
- Owton, H., & Allen-Collinson, J. (2017). Athlete domestic violence: Contaminating acts and the violation of self-boundaries. In A. Milner & J. H. Braddock, II, Women in sports: Breaking barriers, facing obstacles.Google Scholar
- Pence, E., & Paymar, M. (1993). Education groups for men who batter: The Duluth Model. New York: Springer Publishing Company.Google Scholar
- Starr, K. (2013). Breaking down sexual abuse in sports. Huffington Post. Available: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/katherine-starr/breaking-down-sexual-abus_b_2500956.html [Accessed 20/5/16].
- Wheatstone, R., & Hurst, P. (2016). Leicester City star Danny Simpson’s community service order revoked after complaining about being photographed in £200 k Lamborghini. The Mirror [online]. Available: http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/leicester-city-star-danny-simpsons-7953455#ICID=sharebar_facebook [Accessed 20/05/16].