This chapter provides an overview of the book. There is a brief discussion on the prevalence of abuse in sport and the taboo nature of abuse in sport. Following this, a summary of the chapters is provided that explores the experiences of one female athlete named Bella who was groomed, sexually abused by her male coach and then subjected to years of athlete domestic violence. Considerations are drawn regarding the researcher’s role and position in the project. Key features that the book includes are outlined, specifically, the strength of the book which is the voice of Bella as a detailed case study, which is weaved throughout the book to connect readers who can then identify with the stories and personal experiences that Bella shares.
KeywordsIntroduction Overview Sexual abuse in sport
- Childhelp. (2014). Scope of the child abuse issue [online]. Available: https://www.childhelp.org/child-abuse-statistics/ [Accessed 15/06/16]
- Douglas, K. & Carless, D. (2012). Taboo tales in elite sport: Relationships, ethics, and witnessing. Psychology of Women’s Section Review: Special Sports Focus Edition, 14(2), 50–56.Google Scholar
- Laville, S. (2015). 1,400 investigated in child sex abuse inquiry, including politicians. The Guardian [online]. Available: http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/may/20/1400-suspects-operation-hydrant-politician-and-celebrity-child-sex-abuse-inquiry [Accessed 12/5/2016]
- Leahy, T. (2010). Working with adult athlete survivors of sexual abuse. In S. Hanrahan & M. Andersen Eds., Routledge handbook of applied sport psychology: A comprehensive guide for students and practitioners (pp. 303–312). London: Routledge.Google Scholar
- NSPCC. (2016). Statistics on child abuse. [online]. Available: https://www.nspcc.org.uk/services-and-resources/research-and-resources/statistics/ [Accessed 15/06/16].
- Owton, H. (2013). Sexual abuse in sport: A video literature review. You Tube [online]. Available: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsgnABvsIT4 [Accessed 15/06/16].
- Owton, H., & Lazard, L. (2015). The dark side of sport. Open University Sport and Fitness Blog [online]. Available: http://www.open.ac.uk/blogs/OU-Sport/?p=541 [Accessed 15/06/16].
- Whitehead, T. (2015). 76 politicians, 178 celebrities and 7 sports stars: the scale of VIP child sex abuse inquiry. The Guardian, [online]. Available at: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/law-and-order/11617789/Scale-of-child-sex-abuse-revealed-in-new-police-figures.html?fb_ref=Default [Accessed 15/06/16].