A Swarm Intelligence Algorithm Inspired by Twitter
For many years, evolutionary computation researchers have been trying to extract the swarm intelligence from biological systems in nature. Series of algorithms proposed by imitating animals’ behaviours have established themselves as effective means for solving optimization problems. However these bio-inspired methods are not yet satisfactory enough because the behaviour models they reference, such as the foraging birds and bees, are too simple to handle different problems. In this paper, by studying a more complicated behaviour model, human’s social behaviour pattern on Twitter which is an influential social media and popular among billions of users, we propose a new algorithm named Twitter Optimization (TO). TO is able to solve most of the real-parameter optimization problems by imitating human’s social actions on Twitter: following, tweeting and retweeting. The experiments show that, TO has a good performance on the benchmark functions.
KeywordsSwarm Intelligence Social Media Twitter Optimization Particle Swarm Optimization
The authors would like to thank the anonymous reviewers for their time and valuable suggestions. This work is supported in part by the National Science Foundation of China under Grant Nos. (61375064, 61373001) and Jiangsu NSF grant (BK20131279).
- 2.Dorigo, M.: Optimization, learning and natural algorithms. PhD thesis. Politecnico di Milano, Italy (1992)Google Scholar
- 3.Dervis Karaboga, D.: An idea based on honey bee swarm for numerical optimization, Technical report-TR06, Erciyes University, Engineering Faculty, Computer Engineering Department (2005)Google Scholar
- 4.Bratton, D., Kennedy, J.: Defining a standard for particle swarm optimization. In: Proceedings of IEEE Swarm Intelligence Symposium, pp. 120–127 (2007)Google Scholar
- 5.Hassan, R., Cohanim, B., de Weck, O.: A comparison of particle swarm optimization and the genetic algorithm. Vanderplaats Research and Development (2005)Google Scholar
- 6.Tan, Y., Xiao, Z.M.: Clonal particle swarm optimization and its applications. In: Proceedings of IEEE Congress on Evolutionary Computation, pp. 2303–2309 (2007)Google Scholar