An Evidential Approach for Managing Temporal Relations Uncertainty
Temporal information can be often perceived in a vague way as infected with imprecision and uncertainty. Therefore, we need to find some way of handling the invaluable temporal information. This paper presents a belief functions-based approach to represent temporal relations uncertainty in the point algebra context. We would like to show the concept of mass function is suitable for modeling the uncertain knowledge about possible relations between dates. The temporal uncertainty can also be expressed thanks to a vector of belief measures. A set of rules that allows some reasoning about evidential temporal relations, is then established.
KeywordsTemporal relations Uncertainty Evidence theory
This paper is supported by the project CNRS Defi Mastodons 2016: QDoSSi under the number 159982.
- 6.Guil, F., Marin, R.: Extracting uncertain temporal relations from mined frequent sequences. In: Thirteenth International Symposium on Temporal Representation and Reasoning, TIME 2006, pp. 152–159. IEEE (2006)Google Scholar
- 7.Hadjali, A., Dubois, D., Prade, H.: A possibility theory-based approach to the handling of uncertain relations between temporal points. In: Proceedings of the 11th International Symposium on Temporal Representation and Reasoning, TIME 2004, pp. 36–43. IEEE (2004)Google Scholar
- 8.Petridis, S., Paliouras, G., Perantonis, S.J.: Allen’s hourglass: probabilistic treatment of interval relations. In: 17th International Symposium on Temporal Representation and Reasoning (TIME 2010), pp. 87–94. IEEE (2010)Google Scholar
- 9.Ryabov, V., Puuronen, S.: Probabilistic reasoning about uncertain relations between temporal points. In: Proceedings of the Eighth International Symposium on Temporal Representation and Reasoning, TIME 2001, pp. 35–40. IEEE (2001)Google Scholar
- 10.Ryabov, V., Puuronen, S., Terziyan, V.Y., et al.: Representation and reasoning with uncertain temporal relations. In: FLAIRS Conference, pp. 449–453 (1999)Google Scholar
- 14.Vila, L.: A survey on temporal reasoning in artificial intelligence. AI Commun. 7(1), 4–28 (1994)Google Scholar
- 15.Vilain, M.B., Kautz, H.A.: Constraint propagation algorithms for temporal reasoning. In: AAAI, vol. 86, pp. 377–382 (1986)Google Scholar