Virtual Road Condition Prediction Through License Plates in 3D Simulation
Predicting the road conditions lie curves, slopes, hills, helps drivers react faster to avoid possible collisions in hypovigilance and besides, this kind of driver assistance system is more crucial for intelligent vehicles. Even though there are many radar, wifi, infrared systems and devices, what we propose in this paper is a monocular license plate segmentation to foresee the road ahead while cruising behind a blinding vehicle. License plates in the precalibrated images from 3D simulation are segmented and analyzed to identify the front car’s angle of repose. Therefore the angles of the road are estimated frame by frame with calculated distances for prediction of the virtual road.
KeywordsRoad condition Driver assistance License plates virtual road 3d simulation Monocular
This work and the contribution were also supported by project “Smart Solutions for Ubiquitous Computing Environments” FIM, University of Hradec Kralove, Czech Republic (under ID: UHK-FIM-SP-2016-2102).
- 1.Alpar, O., Stojic, R.: Intelligent collision warning using license plate segmentation. J. Intell. Transp. Syst. (2015). doi: 10.1080/15472450.2015.1120674
- 2.Alpar, O.: Corona segmentation for nighttime brake light detection. IET Intell. Transp. Syst. (2015). doi: 10.1049/iet-its.2014.0281
- 3.Cabrera, A., Gowal, S., Martinoli, A.: A new collision warning system for lead vehicles in rear-end collisions. In: 2012 IEEE Intelligent Vehicles Symposium (IV) (2012)Google Scholar
- 5.Ararat, Ö., Kural, E., Güvenç, B.: Development of a collision warning system for adaptive cruise control vehicles using a comparison analysis of recent algorithms. In: Intelligent Vehicles Symposium 2006 (2006)Google Scholar
- 7.Eskandarian, A., Soudbakhsh, D.: Enhanced active steering system for collision avoidance maneuvers. In: Proceedings of 11th International IEEE Conference on Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITSC 2008) (2008)Google Scholar
- 9.Kaempchen, N., Schiele, B., Dietmayer, K.: Design of a dependable model vehicle for rear-end collision avoidance and its evaluation. In: 2010 IEEE Instrumentation and Measurement Technology Conference (I2MTC) (2010)Google Scholar
- 11.Kavitha, K.V.N., Bagubali, A., Shalini, L.: V2v wireless communication protocol for rear-end collision avoidance on highways with stringent propagation delay. In: Proceedings of International Conference on Advances in Recent Technologies in Communication and Computing (ARTCom 2009) (2009)Google Scholar
- 12.Ramirez, A., Ohn-Bar, E., Trivedi, M.: Integrating motion and appearance for overtaking vehicle detection. In: Proceedings of the Intelligent Vehicles Symposium. IEEE (2014)Google Scholar
- 17.Li, X., Shaobin, W., Li, F.: Fuzzy based collision avoidance control strategy considering crisis index in low speed urban area. In: 2014 IEEE Conference and Expo Transportation Electrification Asia-Pacific (ITEC Asia-Pacific), pp. 1–6 (2014)Google Scholar