A Web-Based Information Market to Support Policy Decision Making
Reliable and timely information about current economic and environmental conditions is crucial for policy makers to take decisions and for steering agents’ expectations formation about the state of the economy. While the usefulness of monitoring expectations, opinions and sentiments of economic agents is undoubted, one can argue that existing indices are based on a selected number of surveys and a low monitoring frequency resulting in a partial view of more complex dynamics. In this paper we present a web based tool based on the concept of Information Markets that can be used to aggregate expectations on policy indices and provide accurate and timely information to policy makers and policy modellers.
KeywordsPolicy modelling Information markets Predictions of policy indices
Research reported in this paper is partially funded by the European Commission project SYMPHONY (FP7 grant agreement no.: 611875).
- 1.D’Agostino, A., Schnatz, B.: Survey-based nowcasting of US growth: a real-time forecast comparison over more than 40 years. ECB Working Paper, n. 1455 (2012)Google Scholar
- 5.Kranz, T., Teschner, F., Weinhardt, C.: Combining prediction markets and surveys: an experimental study. In: Proceedings of the 22nd European Conference on Information Systems (2014)Google Scholar
- 11.Snowberg, E., Wolfers, J., Zitzewitz, E.: Prediction markets for economic forecasting (No. w18222). National Bureau of Economic Research (2012)Google Scholar
- 12.Hanson, R.: Decision markets for policy advice. In: Patashnik, E., Gerber, A. (eds.) Promoting the General Welfare. Brookings Institution Press, Washington, D.C. (2006)Google Scholar
- 13.Ledyard, J.: Design of information markets for policy analysis. In: Hahn, R.W., Tecklock, P.C. (eds.) Information Markets: A New Way of Making Decisions. The American Enterprise Institute Press, Washington, DC (2006)Google Scholar
- 14.Millard, J., Nielsen, M.M., Warren, R., Smith, S., Macintosh, A., Tarabanis, K., Tambouris, E., Panopoulou, E., Efpraxia, D., Parisopoulos, K.: European eParticipation Report (2009)Google Scholar
- 15.Teschner, F., Stathel, S., Weinhardt, C.: A prediction market for macro-economic variables. In: 2011 44th Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences (HICSS), pp. 1–9 (2011)Google Scholar
- 16.Hanson, R.: Logarithmic market scoring rules for modular combinatorial information aggregation. J. Prediction Markets 1(1), 3–15 (2007)Google Scholar
- 17.Berg, H., Proebsting, T.A.: Hanson’s automated market maker. J. Prediction Markets 3(1), 45–59 (2009)Google Scholar