A Revenue Management Approach for Network Capacity Allocation of an Intermodal Barge Transportation System
We propose a revenue management (RM) model for the network capacity allocation problem of an intermodal barge transportation system. Accept/reject decisions are made based on a probabilistic mixed integer optimization model maximizing the expected revenue of the carrier over a given time horizon. Probability distribution functions are used to characterize future potential demands. The simulated booking system solves, using a commercial software, the capacity allocation problem for each new transportation request. A conventional model for dynamic capacity allocation considering only the available network capacity and the delivery time constraints is used as alternative when analyzing the results of the proposed model.
KeywordsRevenue management Network capacity allocation Intermodal barge transportation Probabilistic mixed integer model
We gratefully acknowledge the financial support provided for this project by the i-Trans Association and its innovation platform i-Fret, by the Nord-Pas de Calais Region, France, by the Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada through its Discovery grants program, and by Fonds de recherche du Québec through their infrastructure grants.
- 1.Armstrong, A., Meissner, J.: Railway revenue management: overview and models. Technical report, The Department of Management Science, Lancaster University (2010)Google Scholar
- 3.European Commission - White Paper: Roadmap to a Single European Transport Area - Towards a competitive and resource-efficient transport system (2011)Google Scholar
- 10.Liu, D., Yang, H.: Joint slot allocation and dynamic pricing of container sea-rail multimodal transportation. J. Traffic Transp. Eng. 2(3), 198–208 (2015). (English Edition)Google Scholar
- 13.Tavasszy, L.A., Behdani, B., Konings, R.: Intermodality and Synchromodality. Technical report (2015). http://ssrn.com/abstract=2592888
- 16.van Riessen, B., Negenborn, R.R., Dekker, R.: The Cargo Fare Class Mix problem-Revenue Management in Synchromodal Container Transportation. Technical report (2015). doi: 10.13140/RG.2.1.4894.9841
- 17.Ypsilantis, P., Zuidwijk, R.: Joint design and pricing of intermodal port-hinterland network services: Considering economies of scale and service time constraints (No. ERS-2013-011-LIS) ERIM Report Series Research in Management (2013)Google Scholar
- 18.Zuidwijk, R.: Are we connected? - Ports in Global Networks. ERIM Inaugural Address Series Research in Management. Erasmus Research Institute of Management (2015). ISBN 978-90-5892-435-3Google Scholar