Optimizing Train Load Planning: Review and Decision Support for Train Planners
Train load planners are confronted with complex practical considerations during the booking and planning process. In order to optimally utilize the available loading space, train capacity is monitored in terms of available length and weight while accounting for the urgency with which load units must be sent. Furthermore, the execution of the load plan by the terminal operator must be performed efficiently to minimize total handling costs. The contribution of this paper is threefold. First, current literature on train load planning is reviewed based on three main groups of factors influencing the load plan composition. Second, a static model is developed to introduce a number of practical constraints from the viewpoint of the network operator. Finally, the model is adapted to reflect the planning environment of a real-life case study.
KeywordsTrain load planning Intermodal transportation Container terminals Rail transportation
This work is supported by the Interuniversity Attraction Poles Programme initiated by the Belgian Science Policy Office (research project COMEX, Combinatorial Optimization: Metaheuristics & Exact Methods).
- 2.Ambrosino, D., Bramardi, A., Pucciano, M., Sacone, S., Siri, S.: Modeling and solving the train load planning problem in seaport container terminals. In: Proceedings of the 2011 IEEE Conference on Automation Science and Engineering, pp. 208–213. IEEE (2011)Google Scholar
- 6.Anghinolfi, D., Caballini, C., Sacone, S.: Optimizing train loading operations in innovative and automated container terminals. In: Proceedings of the 19th International Federation of Automatic Control World Congress, 2014, pp. 9581–9586 (2014)Google Scholar
- 8.Boysen, H.E.: General model of railway transportation capacity. In: 13th International Conference on Design and Operation in Railway Engineering (Comprail), pp. 335–347. Wessex Institute of Technology, New Forest (2012)Google Scholar
- 13.Corry, P., Kozan, E.: Dynamic container train planning. In: Kozan, E. (ed.) Proceedings of the Fifth Asia Pacific Industrial Engineering and Management Systems Conference 2004, pp. 30.4.1–30.4.20. Queensland University of Technology, Brisbane (2004)Google Scholar
- 15.Corry, P., Kozan, E.: A decision support system for intermodal train planning. In: Kozan, E. (ed.) Proceedings of the Second International Intelligent Logistics Systems Conference, pp. 13.1–13.17 (2006)Google Scholar
- 18.European Commission: White paper: Roadmap to a single European transportarea – Towards a competitive and resource efficient transport system (2011)Google Scholar