Telescopes: Ground Based or in Space?
- 1.1k Downloads
This chapter discusses the optical telescopes including the diffraction produced by the wave nature of the electromagnetic radiation. The diffraction sets the limit to the angular resolution of the telescopes. The effect of the atmosphere on the image formation in ground-based telescopes is presented. The chapter discusses also some large telescope facilities.
KeywordsPoint Spread Function Modulation Transfer Function Adaptive Optic Primary Mirror Observatory Site
- 1.Bely, P.: The Design and Construction of Large Optical Telescopes, Springer, New York (2003)Google Scholar
- 2.Lèna, P. et al.: Observational Astrophysics. Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg (2012)Google Scholar
- 3.Oswalt, T. D., McLean, I. S.: Planets, Stars and Stellar Systems. Volume I: Telescopes and Instrumentation. Springer (2013)Google Scholar
- 4.Oswalt, T. D., Bond, H. E.: Planets, Stars and Stellar Systems. Volume II: Astronomical Techniques, Software, and Data. Springer (2013)Google Scholar
- 5.Schroeder, D.: Astronomical Optics. Academic Press (1999)Google Scholar