Peer Mentoring: A Source of Support for Pre-service EFL Teachers
- 876 Downloads
This chapter reports on a comprehensive research study whose aims were to investigate how a peer-mentoring model might influence pre-service EFL teachers’ perceptions of the amount of support they receive from their peers. The study sheds light on the use of peer mentoring as a model for supporting beginning teachers and its effectiveness in a specific Asian context.
KeywordsFocus Group Emotional Support Teaching Practice Student Teacher Lesson Plan
- Anderson, N. A., Barksdale, M. A., & Hite, C. E. (2005). Preservice teachers’ observations of cooperating teachers and peers while participating in an early field experience. Teacher Education Quarterly, 32(4), 97–117.Google Scholar
- Beijaard, D., Meijer, P. C., & Verloop, N. (2004). Reconsidering research on teachers’ professional identity. Teaching and Teacher Education, 20(2), 107–128.Google Scholar
- Bullough, J. R. V., Young, J., Birrell, J. R., Cecil Clark, D., Winston Egan, M., Erickson, L., … Welling, M. (2003). Teaching with a peer: A comparison of two models of student teaching. Teaching and Teacher Education, 19(1), 57–73.Google Scholar
- Darling-Hammond, L., & Bransford, J. D. (2005). Preparing teachers for a changing world: What teachers should learn and be able to do. San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass.Google Scholar
- Dinsmore, J., & Wenger, K. (2006). Relationships in preservice teacher preparation: From cohorts to communities. Teacher Education Quarterly, 33(1), 57–74.Google Scholar
- Flick, U. (2006). An introduction to qualitative research (3rd ed.). London, UK: Sage.Google Scholar
- Gimbert, B. G. (2001). Learning to teach: The lived experience of being an intern in a professional development school. Ph.D dissertation, The Pennsylvania State University, State College, PA. Retrieved from http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb?did=728932881&Fmt=7&clientId=20806&RQT=309&VName=PQD.
- Howey, K. R., & Zimpher, N. L. (1999). Pervasive problems and issues in teacher education. In G. A. Griffin (Ed.), The education of teachers: Ninety eighth yearbook of National Society for the study of education (pp. 279–305). Chicago, IL: University of Chicago Press.Google Scholar
- Imig, D. G., & Switzer, T. J. (1996). Changing teacher education programs: Restructuring collegiate-based teacher education. In J. Sikula, T. J. Buttery, & E. Guyton (Eds.), Handbook of research on teacher education (pp. 213–226). New York, NY: Simon and Schuster.Google Scholar
- Keogh, M. D. (2005). Factors influencing pre-service teachers’ levels of reflective thinking. Ph.D, Syracuse University, Syracuse, NY. Retrieved from http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb?did=920928781&Fmt=7&clientId=20806&RQT=309&VName=PQD.
- Knezevic, A., & Scholl, M. (1996). Learning to teach together: Teaching to learn together. In D. Freeman & J. C. Richards (Eds.), Teacher learning in language teaching (pp. 79–97). Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press.Google Scholar
- Krueger, R. A. (1994). Focus groups: A practical guide for applied research. London: SAGE.Google Scholar
- Kurtts, S. A., & Levin, B. B. (2000). Using peer coaching with preservice teachers to develop reflective practice and collegial support. Teacher Education, 11(3), 297–310.Google Scholar
- Merriam, S. B. (2002). Qualitative research in practice: Examples for discussion and analysis (1st ed.). San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass.Google Scholar
- Miles, M., & Huberman, M. (1994). Qualitative data analysis: An expanded sourcebook. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.Google Scholar
- Miller, M. (2008). Problem-based conversations: Using preservice teachers’ problems as a mechanism for their professional development. Teacher Education Quarterly, 35(4), 77–98.Google Scholar
- Munson, B. R. (1998). Peers observing peers: The better way to observe teachers. Contemporary Education, 69(2), 108–110.Google Scholar
- Stillisano, J. R. (2004). Mentoring preservice teachers: Opportunities for professional learning and growth in professional development schools. (Ed.D.), Ball State University, Muncie, IN. Retrieved from http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb?did=828404081&Fmt=7&clientId=20806&RQT=309&VName=PQD.
- Strauss, A., & Corbin, J. (2008). Basics of qualitative research: Techniques and procedures for developing grounded theory (2nd ed.). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.Google Scholar
- Tashakkori, A., & Teddlie, C. (2003). Handbook of mixed methods in social & behavioral research. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.Google Scholar
- Walsh, K., Elmslie, L., & Tayler, C. (2002). Pairs on practicum (trial): Early childhood students collaborate with peers in preschool/kindergarden. Paper presented at the AARE conference, Brisbane, Queensland.Google Scholar