Peer Mentoring for Pre-service Teachers: Developing Professional Practice
- 898 Downloads
This chapter provides a comprehensive research example that investigates how a peer-mentoring model has influenced pre-service EFL teachers’ professional practice. A mixed method design, that included both qualitative and quasi-experimental techniques, was used to investigate the impact of a formal peer mentoring intervention program on participants’ professional practice during the practicum. The study sheds light on the use of peer mentoring as a model for developing beginning teachers’ professional practice and its effectiveness in a specific Asian context.
KeywordsProfessional Practice Classroom Environment Professional Responsibility Wilks Lambda Instruction Domain
- Anderson, N. A., Barksdale, M. A., & Hite, C. E. (2005). Preservice teachers’ observations of cooperating teachers and peers while participating in an early field experience. Teacher Education Quarterly, 32(4), 97–117.Google Scholar
- Benedetti, T. A. (1999). An investigation of peer coaching in the foreign language student teaching practicum. (Ph.D.), The Ohio State University, Ohio, USA. Retrieved from http://proquest.umi.com.ezproxy.lib.rmit.edu.au/pqdweb?did=733095381&Fmt=7&clientId=16532&RQT=309&VName=PQD.
- Bowman, C. L. (1995). The effect of peer coaching on the preservice teacher education early field experience program. (Ph.D), The Ohio State University, USA. Retrieved from http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb?did=741163041&Fmt=7&clientId=20806&RQT=309&VName=PQD.
- Bullough, J. R. V., Young, J., Birrell, J. R., Cecil Clark, D., Winston Egan, M., Erickson, L., … Welling, M. (2003). Teaching with a peer: A comparison of two models of student teaching. Teaching and Teacher Education, 19(1), 57–73.Google Scholar
- Campbell, D. T., & Riecken, H. W. (2006). Quasi-experimental design. In D. de Vaus (Ed.), Research design (pp. 270–303). London: Sage.Google Scholar
- Cohen, J. (1988). Statistical power analysis for the behavioural science. Hillsdale, NJ: Erlbaurn.Google Scholar
- Danielson, C. (1996). Enhancing professional practice: A framework for teaching. Alexandria, VA: Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development.Google Scholar
- Danielson, C. (1999). Components of professional practice. Princeton, NJ: Educational Testing Service.Google Scholar
- Day, R. R. (1990). Teacher observation in second language teacher education. In J. C. Richards & D. Nunan (Eds.), Second language teacher education (pp. 43–61). New York, NY: Cambridge University Press.Google Scholar
- Eisen, M.-J. (1999). Peer learning partnerships: A qualitative case study of teaching partners’ professional development efforts. (Ed.D.), Columbia University Teachers College, New York, NY, USA. Retrieved from http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb?did=729767061&Fmt=7&clientId=16532&RQT=309&VName=PQD.
- Gemmell, J. C. (2003). Building a professional learning community in preservice teacher education: Peer coaching and video analysis. (Ed.D), University of Massachusetts, Amherst, Massachusetts, USA. Retrieved from http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb?did=765182921&Fmt=7&clientId=20806&RQT=309&VName=PQD.
- Haigh, M., & Tuck, B. (1999). Assessing student teachers’ performance in practicum. Paper presented at the AARE, Melbourne, Australia.Google Scholar
- Hale, L. V. (1997). A study of peer group clinical supervision for secondary mathematics education practicum teachers. (Ph.D.), The University of Wisconsin, Wisconsin, USA. Retrieved from http://proquest.umi.com.ezproxy.lib.rmit.edu.au/pqdweb?did=739608251&Fmt=7&clientId=16532&RQT=309&VName=PQD.
- Harnish, D., & Wild, L. A. (1994). Mentoring strategies for faculty development. Studies in Higher Education, 19(2), 191–201.Google Scholar
- Johnson, K. E. (1996). The vision versus the reality: The tensions of the TESOL practicum. In D. Freeman & J. C. Richards (Eds.), Teacher learning in language teaching (pp. 30–49). New York, NY: Cambridge University Press.Google Scholar
- Kurtts, S. A., & Levin, B. B. (2000). Using peer coaching with preservice teachers to develop reflective practice and collegial support. Teacher Education, 11(3), 297–310.Google Scholar
- Lasater, C. A. (1994). Observation feedback and analysis of teaching practice: Case studies of early childhood student teachers as peer tutors during a preservice teaching practicum. (Ph.D), The Pennsylvania State University, Pennsylvania, USA. Retrieved from http://proquest.umi.com.ezproxy.lib.rmit.edu.au/pqdweb?did=740790071&Fmt=7&clientId=16532&RQT=309&VName=PQD.
- McAllister, E. A., & Neubert, G. A. (1995). New teachers helping new teachers: Pre-service peer coaching. Bloomington, IN: ERIC Clearinghouse on Reading, English and Communication.Google Scholar
- Miller, M. G. R. (1989). Peer clinical supervision in the initial experience. PhD Unpubished Ph.D, The University of Wisconsin, Madison, Wisconsin, USA.Google Scholar
- Munson, B. R. (1998). Peers observing peers: The better way to observe teachers. Contemporary Education, 69(2), 108–110.Google Scholar
- Nguyen, H. T. M., & Luong, Q. T. (2007). EFL student teachers’ challenges during practicum: A case study. Paper presented at the 2007 ETAK international conference, Kongju National University, Kongju, South Korea.Google Scholar
- Pallant, J. (2007). SPSS survival manual: A step by step guide to data analysis using SPSS for Windows (3rd ed.). Maidenhead, UK: Open University Press.Google Scholar
- Piraino, G. R., Jr. (2006). A qualitative study of differentiated teacher supervision’s impact on classroom instruction and pedagogy. (Ed.D.), University of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA. Retrieved from http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb?did=1179962631&Fmt=7&clientId=16532&RQT=309&VName=PQD.
- Slater, C. L., & Simmons, D. L. (2001). The design and implementation of a peer coaching program. American Secondary Education, 29(3), 67–76.Google Scholar
- Sullivan, P. J. (2000). Playfulness as mediation in communicative language teaching in Vietnamese classroom. In J. P. Lantolf (Ed.), Socio-cultural theory and second language learning (pp. 115–131). Oxford, UK: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Vygotsky, L. S. (1978). Mind in society: The development of higher psychological processes. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press.Google Scholar
- Walsh, K., Elmslie, L., & Tayler, C. (2002). Pairs on practicum (trial): Early childhood students collaborate with peers in preschool/kindergarten. Paper presented at the Australian Association for Research in Education (AARE) conference, Brisbane, Queensland.Google Scholar
- Wynn, M. J., & Kromrey, J. (1999). Paired peer placement with peer coaching in early field experiences: Results of a four-year study. Teacher Education Quarterly, 26(1), 21–38.Google Scholar
- Zeichner, K. (1996). Designing educative practicum experiences for prospective teachers. In K. Zeichner, S. Melnick, & M. L. Gomez (Eds.), Currents of reform in preservice teacher education (pp. 215–234). New York, NY: Teachers College Press.Google Scholar