Efficient Operations at Intermodal Terminals Using a Multi-agent System
Transport networks are large-scale complex systems whose objective is to deliver cargo at a specific time and at a specific location. Ports and intermodal container terminals behave as exchange hubs where containers are moved from a transport modality to a different one. Terminal operations management arise as a need to face the exponentially growth of the container traffic in the last few years. In this paper the Extended Formulation of the MPC is presented. This formulation accounts for the variation of the control action to reduce not only the amount of actions but to perform a wise and efficient use of handling resources. This formulation is based on the decomposition of the control action. The Extended Formulation is applied to a simulation case study based on a long-term scheduled scenario and compared with the Basic Formulation.
KeywordsModel Predictive Control Basic Formulation Extended Formulation Intermodal container terminal Operations management
This work was supported by Fundação para a Ciência e Tecnologia (FCT), through IDMEC, under LAETA, project UID/EMS/50022/2013 and by the FCT, through IDMEC, under LAETA Pest-OE/EME/LA0022.
- 2.Alessandri, A., Sacone, S., Siri, S.: Management of intermodal container terminals using feedback control. In: Proceedings of The 7th International IEEE Conference on Intelligent Transportation Systems, pp. 882–887 (2004)Google Scholar
- 3.Crainic, T.G., Kim, K.H.: Intermodal Transportation. Technol. Teach. 64, 15–18 (2005)Google Scholar
- 9.Nabais, J.L., Negenborn, R.R., Botto, M.A.: Hierarchical model predictive control for optimizing intermodal container terminal operations. IEEE Conf. Intell. Transp. Syst. Proc. 708–713 (2013)Google Scholar
- 10.Nabais, J.L., Negenborn, R.R., Botto, M.A.: A novel predictive control based framework for optimizing intermodal container terminal operations. In: 3rd International Conference on Computational Logistics, pp. 53–71 (2012)Google Scholar
- 11.Negenborn, R.R.: Model predictive control for a sustainable transport modal split at intermodal container hubs (2013)Google Scholar
- 12.Maciejowski, J.M.: Predictive Control with Constraints. Prentice Hall (2002)Google Scholar