Medicare Part A and DRG’s
Physician reimbursement has historically been directly related to CPT codes and relative value units. But with the increasing relationship between hospitals, healthcare systems, and surgeons, it becomes even more important for us to understand how our own hospital practice and documentation can effect hospital reimbursement.
KeywordsMedicare Part Social Security Administration Medicare Program Health Care Financing Administration Physician Reimbursement
- 2.Vladeck B, Van de Water PN, Eichner J. Strengthening Medicare’s role in reducing racial and ethnic health disparities. Washington, DC: National Academy of Social Insurance; 2006.Google Scholar
- 3.The Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation. The facts on Medicare spending and financing. 2015.Google Scholar
- 5.Marmour T. Political analysis and American Medical Care. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press; 1983.Google Scholar
- 6.Starr P. The social transformation of American medicine: the rise of a sovereign profession and the making of a vast industry. New York: Basic Books; 1982.Google Scholar
- 7.Stevens R. In sickness and in wealth: American Hospitals in the twentieth century. Johns Hopkins University Press, Baltimore and London; p. 284.Google Scholar
- 8.Executive Office of the President’s Council on Wage and Price Stability Staff. The rapid rise of hospital costs. 1977, President’s Council on Wage and Price Stability. p. 9–11.Google Scholar
- 9.Congressional Budget Office. Hospital cost containment model: a technical analysis. Washington, DC: GPO; 1981.Google Scholar
- 12.Iglehart J. The new era of prospective payment for hospitals. N Engl J Med. 1983;308:1288–92.Google Scholar
- 13.Acute Inpatient PPS. 2015. [cited 2015 December 6, 2015]. Available from: https://www.cms.gov/Medicare/Medicare-Fee-for-Service-Payment/AcuteInpatientPPS/index.html.
- 14.Bushnell B. The evolution of DRGs. AAOS Now. 2013.Google Scholar
- 15.Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services. FY 2015 final rule tables. 2014 [cited 2015; FY 2015 Final Rule Tables]. Available from: https://www.cms.gov/Medicare/Medicare-Fee-for-Service-Payment/AcuteInpatientPPS/FY2015-IPPS-Final-Rule-Home-Page-Items/FY2015-Final-Rule-Tables.html.
- 16.Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services. FY 2016 final rule and correction notice tables. 2015; FY 2016 Final Rule and Correction Notice Tables]. Available from: https://www.cms.gov/Medicare/Medicare-Fee-for-Service-Payment/AcuteInpatientPPS/FY2016-IPPS-Final-Rule-Home-Page-Items/FY2016-IPPS-Final-Rule-Tables.html?DLPage=1&DLEntries=10&DLSort=0&DLSortDir=ascending.
- 19.Mathews AW. When hospital fees catch you off guard. In: Wall Street Journal. New York: Wall Street Journal; 2009.Google Scholar
- 20.Worth T. Hospital facility fees: why cost may give independent physicians an edge. Med Econ. 2014. Available from: http:medicaleconomics.modernmedicine.com/medical-economics/content/tags/facility-fees/hospital-facility-fees-why-cost-may-give-independent-ph?page=full%> internal-pdf://0719885378/AHA_on_facility_fees_2014_MedEcon.pdfGoogle Scholar
- 21.Schulte F. CMS takes aim at “facility fees”: rule would replace five code prices with flat rate. In: Modern healthcare. Chicago: Crain Communications, Inc; 2013.Google Scholar