The CPT Code
As healthcare has evolved, documentation and coding have become increasingly complicated. With the increasing complexity came a requirement for standardized tracking of procedures across healthcare entities. Resultantly, the American Medical Association (AMA) developed and published the Current Procedural Terminology (CPT) code, which has become the standard language across providers, hospitals, and healthcare payers for documenting procedures and services. By providing a standardized code set, consistent communication is enhanced to improve patient safety. Today, the CPT code set is divided into three categories that describe commonly procedures performed, measure the performance of quality measures, and track new and emerging practices. The creation and change of the code set is standardized and accessible to allow fair change and maintenance of the code set across the healthcare community.
KeywordsCPT code CPT applications Modifier HCPCS
- 1.AMA. Principles of CPT coding. 7th ed. Chicago: American Medical Association; 2012. p. 506.Google Scholar
- 2.CMS. HCPCS – general information [Website]. 2015. [updated 6/26/2015]. https://www.cms.gov/Medicare/Coding/MedHCPCSGenInfo/index.html.
- 3.CMS. Transaction & code sets standards CMS.gov2015 [updated 9/26/2014; cited 2015 9/19/2015]. https://www.cms.gov/Regulations-and-Guidance/HIPAA-Administrative-Simplification/TransactionCodeSetsStands/index.html?redirect=/TransactionCodeSetsStands/02_TransactionsandCodeSetsRegulations.asp - TopOfPage.
- 4.CDC. Immunization Information Systems (IIS) CDC Website: Centers for Disease Control; 2012. [updated 5/15/2012; cited 2015 10/13/2015]. http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/programs/iis/about.html.
- 5.Grider DJ, American Medical Association. Coding with modifiers: a guide to correct CPT and HCPCS level II modifier usage. 5th ed. Chicago: American Medical Association; 2014. xv, 497 p. p.Google Scholar
- 6.AMA. CPT Coding change request instructions AMA website: American Medical Association; 2015. [cited 2015 10/10/2015]. http://www.ama-assn.org/ama/pub/physician-resources/solutions-managing-your-practice/coding-billing-insurance/cpt/applying-cpt-codes/request-form-instructions.page?.
- 7.AMA. CPT Code change request document AMA website: AMA; 2015. [cited 2015 10/15/15]. https://download.ama-assn.org/resources/doc/cpt/x-pub/cpt-code-change-request.docx.