Skin and Soft Tissue
The integumentary system of CPT defines procedures on skin, subcutaneous, and accessory structures and contains approximately 344 unique codes. These can be broadly classified into a large group of codes dealing with the treatment of skin lesions and skin trauma and a smaller group of codes that includes treatment of superficial abscesses and assorted cosmetic procedures (e.g., blepharoplasty, chemical peeling and dermabrasion, hair replacement surgery, and panniculectomy). This chapter will focus on the diagnosis of skin lesions, their removal, and the subsequent repair of the surgical defect. The repair codes are also used for reporting the treatment of various types of skin trauma and flaps for soft tissue reconstruction.
KeywordsNational Comprehensive Cancer Network National Comprehensive Cancer Network Secondary Defect Nonmelanoma Skin Cancer Dermatofibrosarcoma Protuberans
- 1.Zerbino DD. Biopsy: its history, current and future outlook. Likars’ka sprava/Ministerstvo okhorony zdorov’ia Ukrainy. 1994;(3–4):1–9.Google Scholar
- 3.Siegel RL, Miller KD, Jemal A. Cancer statistics, 2016. CA Cancer J Clini. 2016, American Cancer Society. doi: 10.3322/caac.21332. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.3322/caac.21332/full. Last reviewed 8 Jan 2016.
- 5.Howlader N, Noone AM, Krapcho M, et al., editors. SEER cancer statistics review, 1975–2009 (Vintage 2009 Populations). Bethesa: National Cancer Institute. http://seer.cancer.gov/csr/1975_2009_pops09/. Accessed 22 Aug 2012.
- 7.Guy GP, Machlin SR, Ekwueme DU, Yabroff KR. Prevalence and costs of skin cancer treatment in the U.S., 2002–2006 and 2007–2011. Am J Prev Med. 2014;104(4):e69–74. doi:dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.amepre.2014.08.036
- 9.CPT assistant. 2006. p. 1. Copyright American Medical Association.Google Scholar
- 10.Current procedural terminology. 2016. p. 79. Copyright American Medical Association.Google Scholar