Power Analysis Attacks Against IEEE 802.15.4 Nodes
IEEE 802.15.4 is a wireless standard used by a variety of higher-level protocols, including many used in the Internet of Things (IoT). A number of system on a chip (SoC) devices that combine a radio transceiver with a microcontroller are available for use in IEEE 802.15.4 networks. IEEE 802.15.4 supports the use of AES-CCM* for encryption and authentication of messages, and a SoC normally includes an AES accelerator for this purpose. This work measures the leakage characteristics of the AES accelerator on the Atmel ATMega128RFA1, and then demonstrates how this allows recovery of the encryption key from nodes running an IEEE 802.15.4 stack. While this work demonstrates the attack on a specific SoC, the results are also applicable to similar wireless nodes and to protocols built on top of IEEE 802.15.4.
KeywordsAES Side-channel power analysis DPA IEEE 802.15.4
The authors would like to thank the anonymous reviewers at COSADE 2016 for their insightful comments. Colin O’Flynn is funded by the Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC) under the CGS program.
- 1.IEEE: Standard 802.15.4-2006: Wireless Medium Access Control (MAC) and Physical Layer (PHY) Specifications for Low-Rate Wireless Personal Area Networks (WPANs) (2006)Google Scholar
- 8.Atmel Corporation: ATmega128RFA1 Datasheet (2014)Google Scholar
- 9.Kizhvatov, I.: Side channel analysis of AVR XMEGA crypto engine. In: Proceedings of the 4th Workshop on Embedded Systems Security, WESS 2009, pp. 8:1–8:7. ACM, New York (2009)Google Scholar
- 10.O’Flynn, C., Chen, Z.D.: ChipWhisperer: an open-source platform for hardware embedded security research. In: Prouff, E. (ed.) COSADE 2014. LNCS, vol. 8622, pp. 243–260. Springer, Heidelberg (2014)Google Scholar
- 12.Whiting, D., Ferguson, N., Housley, R.: Counter with CBC-MAC (CCM). https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3610
- 14.Gueron, S.: Intel Advanced Encryption Standard (AES) new instructions set. Whitepaper Doc. No. 323641-001 (2012)Google Scholar
- 19.Lewis, J.P.: Fast template matching. In: Canadian Conference on Vision Interface – VI 1995, pp. 120–123 (1995)Google Scholar