What Is the Ongoing Recommendation in the Management of Rectal Cancer?
During the past 20 years, we have seen major changes in the way patients with rectal cancer are investigated and treated. The key components are the improvements in preoperative staging, in surgical technique and histopathological assessment of the resected specimen, and in combining multimodality treatments to ameliorate the long-term outcome.
“The authors would like to thank Giuditta Chiloiro (Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore, Radiation Oncology Department, Rome, Italy) for the excellent support during manuscript editing”
- 4.Bujko K, Nowacki MP, Nasierowska-Guttmejer A, Michalski W, Bebenek M, Kryj M (2006) Long-term results of a randomized trial comparing preoperative short-course radiotherapy with preoperative conventionally fractionated chemoradiation for rectal cancer. Br J Surg 93:1215–23.30CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 5.Peeters KC, Marijnen CA, Nagtegaal ID, Kranenbarg EK, Putter H, Wiggers T et al (2007) Dutch colorectal cancer group the TME trial after a median follow-up of six years: increased local control but no survival benefit in irradiated patients with resectable rectal carcinoma. Ann Surg 246:693–701CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 6.Sebag-Montefiore D, Stephens RJ, Steele R, Monson J, Grieve R, Khanna S et al (2009) Preoperative radiotherapy versus selective postoperative chemoradiotherapy in patients with rectal cancer (MRC CR07 and NCIC-CTG C016): a multicentre, randomized trial. Lancet 373:811–820CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 12.Roh JK, Yothers G (2011) The impact of capecitabine and oxaliplatin in the preoperative multimodality treatment in patients with carcinoma of the rectum: NSABP R-04. J Clin Oncol 29:abstr 3503Google Scholar
- 14.Hofheinz RD, Wenz F (2011) Capecitabine (Cape) versus 5-fluorouracil (5-FU)–based (neo)adjuvant chemoradiotherapy (CRT) for locally advanced rectal cancer (LARC): long-term results of a randomized, phase III trial. J Clin Oncol 29:abstr 3504Google Scholar
- 18.Jakobsen A, Appelt AL (2011) The dose-effect relationship in preoperative chemoradiation of locally advanced rectal cancer: preliminary results of a phase III trial. J Clin Oncol 29:abstr 3512Google Scholar
- 20.Roedel C, Becker H (2011) Preoperative chemoradiotherapy and postoperative chemotherapy with 5-fluorouracil and oxaliplatin versus 5-fluorouracil alone in locally advanced rectal cancer: first results of the German CAO/ARO/AIO-04 randomized phase III trial. J Clin Oncol 29:abstr LBA3505Google Scholar