Analysis of MicroRNA and Transcription Factor Regulation
Gene regulatory networks in different tissues offer insight into the mechanism of tissue identity and function. Here we construct regulatory networks in 10 human tissues including regulations among miRNAs, transcription factors and genes. The results reveal that TS miRNAs are regulated largely by non-tissue specific TFs. TS miRNAs connect with more TFs compared with trivial miRNAs, inferring tight co-regulation of gene expression for TS miRNAs and TFs. Both TS miRNAs and TSTFs tend to regulate broad sets of genes involved in tissue specific functions. In particular, we identified tissue specific regulations instrumental to defining tissue specific functions, and some pathways important to tissue identity or disease, which cannot be explained by only tissue specific genes, can be captured in our tissue specific regulations.
KeywordsGene regulatory network miRNA Transcription factor Tissue specific regulation Tissue specificity
This work was supported by the grants of the National Science Foundation of China, Nos. 61133010, 61520106006, 31571364, 61532008, 61572364, 61373105, 61303111, 61411140249, 61402334, 61472282, 61472280, 61472173, 61572447, and 61373098, China Postdoctoral Science Foundation Grant, Nos. 2014M561513 and 2015M580352.
- 2.Pierson, E., Koller, D., Battle, A., Mostafavi, S., Consortium, G.: Sharing and specificity of co-expression networks across 35 human tissues (2015)Google Scholar
- 3.Zhu, L., Guo, W.-L., Deng, S.-P., Huang, D.-S.: ChIP-PIT: enhancing the analysis of ChIP-seq data using convex-relaxed pair-wise tensor decompositionGoogle Scholar
- 8.Han, H., Shim, H., Shin, D., Shim, J.E., Ko, Y., Shin, J., Kim, H., Cho, A., Kim, E., Lee, T.: TRRUST: a reference database of human transcriptional regulatory interactions. Sci. Rep. 5 (2015)Google Scholar
- 10.Mathelier, A., Zhao, X., Zhang, A.W., Parcy, F., Worsley-Hunt, R., Arenillas, D.J., Buchman, S., Chen, C.-Y., Chou, A., Ienasescu, H.: JASPAR 2014: an extensively expanded and updated open-access database of transcription factor binding profiles. Nucleic Acids Res. gkt997 (2013)Google Scholar
- 13.Hsu, S.-D., Lin, F.-M., Wu, W.-Y., Liang, C., Huang, W.-C., Chan, W.-L., Tsai, W.-T., Chen, G.-Z., Lee, C.-J., Chiu, C.-M.: miRTarBase: a database curates experimentally validated microRNA–target interactions. Nucleic Acids Res. gkq1107 (2010)Google Scholar
- 20.Huang, D.-S.: Systematic Theory of Neural Networks for Pattern Recognition, vol. 28, pp. 323–332. Publishing House of Electronic Industry of China, Beijing (1996)Google Scholar