Policy-Making for Structural Reforms in the Welsh Higher Education Landscape
- 606 Downloads
A most common and visible policy response to globalisation has been increasing the efficiency of the HE system by concentrating (merging) existing already established HEIs. This may involve various forms of associations of HEIs ranging from relatively weak associations, such as consortia, to fully fledged associations, such as pure mergers (Amaral, 2009, p. 13; Barber et al. 2013, p. 10; Estermann et al., 2013, p. 4, 12). Our focus in this chapter is on the latter, the mergers. There have been many mergers within national HE systems across many European Union (EU) member states (European Commission, 2014) to create newly consolidated HEIs capable of competing globally (Salmi, 2009, pp. 43–44) as well as reducing costs and enabling economies of scale (Pinheiro et al., 2015, p. 1).
KeywordsStructural Reform Mutual Benefit Governmental Approach Institutional Autonomy Merger Process
- Amaral, A. (2009). Recent trends in European Higher Education. Available online at http://www.a3es.pt/sites/default/files/9.%20Tokyio%20seminar.pdf. Accessed 25th July 2016.
- Barber, M., Donnelly, K., Rizvi, S., & Summers, L. (2013). An avalanche is coming: Higher education and the revolution ahead. Research report for IPPR. London: Institute for Public Policy Research. http://www.ippr.org/files/images/media/files/publication/2013/04/avalanche-iscoming_Mar2013_10432.pdf?noredirect=1/. Accessed 25 July 2016.Google Scholar
- Bennetot Pruvot, E., Claeys-Kulik, A., & Estermann, T. (2015). Define project: Designing Strategies for Efficient Funding of Universities in Europe. http://www.eua.be/Libraries/publications-homepage-list/designing-strategies-for-efficient-funding-of-universities-in-europe.pdf?sfvrsn=4
- Capital Consulting (2012). Evaluation of the Strategic Alliance between the University of Glamorgan and the Royal Welsh College of Music and Drama. https://www.hefcw.ac.uk/documents/policy_areas/strategic_change/Evaluation%20of%20Strategic%20Alliance%20between%20Glamorgan%20and%20Royal%20Welsh%20College%20of%20Music%20and%20Drama.pdf. Accessed 25 July 2016.
- Colman, J. (2009). Collaboration between Higher Education Institutions. http://dera.ioe.ac.uk/11694/7/Collaboration_between_HE_institutions_Eng_Redacted.pdf
- Education and Lifelong Learning Committee. (2002). Policy review of higher education. http://www.assembly.wales/Laid%20Documents/Education%20and%20Lifelong%20Learning%20Committee%20Report%20Policy%20Review%20of%20Higher%20Education%20%28Main%20Text%29%20-%20LD-14012002-24467/bus-GUIDE-3C441D400007D6EC0000415000000000-English.pdf
- Estermann, T., Bennetot Pruvot, E., & Claeys-Kulik, A. (2013). Define Interim Report: Designing strategies for efficient funding of higher education in Europe. http://www.eua.be/Libraries/publication/DEFINE_final
- European Commission. (2014). KEY OUTCOMES – Country Focus Workshop “Changing the higher education landscape: Specialisation, consolidation and territorial development” – Riga, 3–4 April 2014. http://ec.europa.eu/education/policy/strategic-framework/expert-groups/documents/report-specialisation-consolidation-development_en.pdf
- Further and Higher Education Act. (1992). Retrieved from http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1992/13/pdfs/ukpga_19920013_en.pdf
- GAELWa. (2004). Report to the accounting offices of the Higher Education Funding Council for Wales: Review of the terminated merger discussion between the University of Wales Institute, Cardiff and the University of Glam organ. https://www.hefcw.ac.uk/documents/policy_areas/strategic_change/Review%20of%20the%20Terminated%20Merger%20Discussions%20Between%20UWIC%20and%20the%20University%20of%20Glamorgan.pdf
- Gornitzka, A. (2005). Exploring the EU Open Method of Co-ordination. Paper for the Workshop ‘The Open Method of Co-ordination – Risks and Chances for European Environmental Policy’, Brussels. http://eucenter.wisc.edu/OMC/Papers/Other/environment.pdf. Accessed 22 March 2004.
- Gummett, P. (2015). Reorganising the Welsh University System. In A. Curaj, L. Georghiou, J. Cassingena Harper, & E. Egron-Polak (Eds.),Mergers and alliances in higher education: International practice and emerging opportunities (pp. 81–104). New York/Dordrecht/London: Springer Cham Heidelberg. doi: 10.1007/978-3-319-13135-1 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- HEFCW (1999). A Report to the National Assembly for Wales: The Scope for Institutional Mergers at the Higher Educational Level (Circular W99/101HE).Google Scholar
- HEFCW. (2003). Reconfiguration and collaboration fund W03/65HE. https://www.hefcw.ac.uk/documents/publications/circulars/circulars_2003/W0365HE.pdf
- HEFCW. (2010). Evaluation of the impact of the merger of Cardiff University and the University of Wales College Of Medicine: Final report. http://www.hefcw.ac.uk/documents/policy_areas/strategic_change/cu-uwcm%20merger%20final%20evaluation%20report%20june%202010.pdf
- HEFCW (2010b). The future shape of the higher education sector in wales. http://www.hefcw.ac.uk/documents/news/press_releases/2010%20Press%20Releases/Full%20Statement%20on%20the%20Future%20Shape%20of%20the%20Sector%20211210.pdf. Accessed 25 July 2016.
- HEFCW (2011). Higher education funding council for Wales future structure of Universities in Wales: Confidential advice to the minister for education and skills. http://gov.wales/docs/dcells/consultation/110711futureofunihefcwen.pdf. Accessed 25 July 2016.
- HEFCW Annual Report 2003–2004. (n.d.). Retrieved from https://www.hefcw.ac.uk/documents/publications/corporate_documents/Annual%20Report/HEFCW%20Annual%20Report%202003-04%20English.pdf
- Heidenreich, M. (2009). The Open Method of Coordination: A pathway to the gradual transformation of national employment and welfare regimes. In M. Heidenreich & J. Zeitlin (Eds.), Changing European Employment and Welfare Regimes: The influence of the open method of coordination on national reforms (pp. 10–36). Florence: The European University Institute/Routledge.Google Scholar
- Higher Education Statistics Agency (HESA). (n.d.). Statistical first release 224. https://www.hesa.ac.uk/stats
- Humburg, M. (2008). The Open Method of Coordination and European Integration: The Example of European Education Policy. http://www.polsoz.fu-berlin.de/polwiss/forschung/international/europa/arbeitspapiere/2008-8_Humburg_OpenMethodofCoordination.pdf
- HW Corporate Finance (2008). Commercial in confidence: Higher education funding council for Wales review of University of Wales, Lampeter. https://www.hefcw.ac.uk/documents/working_with_he_providers/strategic_engagement/Review%20of%20UWL%20Redacted%20Copy%20Oct%202010.pdf. Accessed 25 July 2016.
- Ljungberg, D., & McKelvey, M. (2015). Collaboration between universities in Sweden. In: A. Curaj, L. Georghiou, J. Cassingena Harper & E. Egron-Polak (Eds.), Mergers and alliances in higher education: International practice and emerging opportunities (pp. 57–79). Springer Cham Heidelberg New York Dordrecht London. doi: 10.1007/978-3-319-13135-1_4.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Parken, A. (2011). A review of higher education collaborations across Wales: Context and current picture. http://www.lfhe.ac.uk/filemanager/root/site_assets/research_resources/research/series_3/S3-1%20Parken%20-%20Review%20of%20HE%20Collaborations%20in%20Wales%20-%20Context.pdf
- Roberts, D. (2009). Bangor University 1884–2009. Retrieved from https://books.google.nl/books?id=8nuvBwAAQBAJ&hl=nl&source=gbs_navlinks_s
- Salmi, J. (2009). The challenge of establishing World-Class Universities. http://siteresources.worldbank.org/EDUCATION/Resources/278200-1099079877269/547664-1099079956815/547670-1237305262556/WCU.pdf
- The Aberystwyth-Bangor Strategic Alliance. (n.d.). Retrieved from http://aberbangorstrategicalliance.ac.uk/history.php.en
- The National Assembly for Wales. (2001). The learning country: A paving document. A Comprehensive Education and Lifelong Learning Programme to 2010 in Wales. http://www.educationengland.org.uk/documents/pdfs/2001-learning-country-wales.pdf
- Welsh Assembly Government. (2002). Higher education and the learning country: A strategy for the higher education sector in Wales. http://gov.wales/dcells/publications/policy_strategy_and_planning/furtherandhighereducation/reaching/reachinghighere.pdf?lang=en
- Welsh Assembly Government (2009). For our future: The 21st century higher education strategy and plan for Wales. http://www.yoursenedd.com/debates/2011-12-07-welsh-conservatives-debate-higher-education. Accessed 25 July 2016.
- Welsh Government (2013). Review of higher education provision in north east Wales: Advice to the minister for education and skills. http://gov.wales/docs/dcells/report/130924-review-of-he-provision-en.pdf. Accessed 25 July 2016.