Web Framework for Developing Real Time Applications for Education
SCALE-UP classrooms are designed to provide an environment for active and collaborative learning. These teaching techniques rely heavily on the collaboration between students, and implementing them in courses with a high number of students is a challenge. Therefore the use of technology is needed.
In this work we have developed a modular education-oriented Web framework that provides: a real time communication infrastructure; a simple access mechanism; a user interface; and positioning and identification of students in the classroom. The framework is primarily (but not exclusively) intended to be used with the mobile devices that the students already have. The whole code is publicly available on the Internet under the GNU Affero General Public License.
On top of this framework, we are developing a set of modules to be used in SCALE-UP classrooms. This whole platform will provide a working environment for the classroom activities and, by monitoring the responses of students, the platform will make possible to identify students with different answers, encouraging discussion and collaboration among them.
KeywordsActive learning Collaborative learning Learning catalytics Open source Real time interaction SCALE-UP Web framework
- 1.Aizman, A., Alarcón, H.: Modelo Integrador para una Docencia que Promueve el Aprendizaje Activo en Primer Año de Ingeniería en la UTFSM. Viña de Mar, Chile (2013)Google Scholar
- 3.Hamari, J., Koivisto, J., Sarsa, H.: Does gamification work? - A literature review of empirical studies on gamification. In: 2014 47th Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences, pp. 3025–3034. IEEE (2014)Google Scholar
- 6.Pejcinovic, B.: Application of active learning in microwave circuit design courses. Atlanta, USA (2013)Google Scholar
- 8.Tsai, F.S., Natarajan, K., Ahipasaoglu, S.D., et al.: From Boxes to bees: active learning in freshmen calculus. In: 2013 IEEE Global Engineering Education Conference (EDUCON), pp. 59–68. IEEE, Berlin (2013)Google Scholar
- 9.Tsai, F.S., Yuen, C., Cheung, N.-M.: Interactive learning in pre-university mathematics. In: 2012 IEEE International Conference on Teaching, Assessment and Learning for Engineering (TALE), pp. T2D-8–T2D-13. IEEE (2012)Google Scholar
- 10.Learning Catalytics. https://learningcatalytics.com/pages/pricing. Accessed 22 Mar 2016a
- 11.Plickers. https://plickers.com/. Accessed 22 Mar 2016b
- 12.SCALE-UP Site. http://scaleup.ncsu.edu/. Accessed 22 Mar 2016c