Challenges of Reintegration for Returnees in Myanmar
- 414 Downloads
This chapter explores the various challenges of refugee and IDP reintegration in Myanmar, with a focus on security from armed conflict and land mines, access to livelihood opportunities, rights to citizenship, social welfare, and resource and land allocation. It discusses existing efforts by both government and non-state actors, and identifies gaps in policy and implementation. The authors argue that without a specific reintegration strategy backed by an adequate budget, displacement will continue to be a non-reality for Myanmar refugees and IDPs.
KeywordsMigrant Worker Armed Group Land Allocation Land Minis Poverty Incidence
- Asian Development Bank. 2012. “Interim Country Partnership Strategy: Myanmar, 2012–2014.” Asian Development Bank. http://www.adb.org/sites/default/files/linked-documents/icps-mya-2012-2014-pa.pdf.
- Editorial. 2013. “Safety of Innocent Civilians.” New Light of Myanmar, March 10.Google Scholar
- Geneva Call. 2011. “Humanitarian Impact of Land mines in Burma/Myanmar.” http://www.genevacall.org/wp-content/uploads/dlm_uploads/2013/12/Humanitarian-Impact-of-Landmines-in-Burma-Myanmar.pdf.
- Internal Displacement Monitoring Center. 2014. “Overview Myanmar 2014.” Internal Displacement Monitoring Center. http://www.internal-displacement.org/south-and-south-east-asia/myanmar/2014/.
- International Campaign to Ban Land mines—Cluster Munition Coalition. 2013. “Land mine Monitor 2013.” Land mine Monitor. ICBL.Google Scholar
- Lichtefeld, John, and Kyaw Zin Htet. 2014. “Golden ‘Land’: Protecting Investments in Myanmar from Disputes.” Global View. April 3. http://www.globallegalpost.com/blogs/global-view/golden-land-protecting-investments-in-myanmar-from-disputes-95192130/.
- Ministry of National Planning and Economic Development, and Ministry of Health. 2011. “Myanmar Multiple Indicator Cluster Survey 2009–2010 Final Report.” Nay Pyi Taw: Ministry of National Planning and Economic Development and Ministry of Health, Myanmar. http://www.childinfo.org/files/MICS3_Myanmar_FinalReport.pdf.
- Ministry of National Planning and Economic Development, and UNICEF. 2012. “Situation Analysis of Children in Myanmar.” Nay Pyi Taw. http://www.unicef.org/eapro/Myanmar_Situation_Analysis.pdf.
- “Myanmar Country Paper on the 4th China-ASEAN Forum on Social Development and Poverty Reduction.” 2008. International Poverty Reduction Center in China. http://www.iprcc.org.cn/userfiles/file/Myanmar(2).pdf.
- UNDP, and UNCDF. 2013. “Myanmar Joint Program Document.” UNDP. http://www.mm.undp.org/content/dam/myanmar/docs/Documents/UNDP_MM_Pillar_1_Project_Doc.pdf.
- UNHCR. 2013. “South-East Myanmar: A Report on Village Profiles 2008–2012.” UNHCR. http://img.static.reliefweb.int/sites/reliefweb.int/files/resources/ConciseversionofvillageproflingreportFinalv3_0.pdf.
- UNHCR. 2015. “2015 UNHCR Country Operations Profile—Myanmar.” UNHCR. http://www.unhcr.org/pages/49e4877d6.html.
- Union of Myanmar. 1947. Myanmar Immigration Act of 1947.Google Scholar