Introduction: Rethinking Gender Equality Since the Turn of the Millennium
Since the turn of the millennium, many countries across Europe have taken legislative action to increase gender equality in the fields of economy, family and politics. Equal pay policies, corporate board quotas, parental leave reforms and electoral gender quotas have brought innovations to the gender order and to the gender culture of many societies. This introduction gives an overview over the policy measures which have been implemented in the last 15 years and presents different theoretical approaches to analyse them with regard to their effects and outcomes. Furthermore, we raise the question whether fast-track solutions are preferable to long-term cultural changes, and under which institutional and political conditions policies can actually have an effect on gender equality.
KeywordsGender equality Political representation
- Auth, Diana, Sigrid Leitner, and Christina Klenner. 2015. Neue Sorgekonflikte: Die Zumutungen des Adult worker model. In Prekarisierungen. Arbeit, Sorge und Inklusion, ed. Susanne Völker, and Michèle Armacker, 42–58. Weinheim: Beltz/Juventa.Google Scholar
- Dahlerup, Drude, and Lenita Freidenvall. 2003. Quotas as a ‘Fast track’ to Equal Political Representation for Women. Why Scandinavia is no longer the model. Accessed April 27, 2016. http://equalvoice.ca/pdf/APSA5.pdf
- Dovi, Suzanne. 2011. Political Representation. In Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy, ed. Edward N. Zalta. Stanford. Accessed January 12, 2013. http://plato.stanford.edu/archives/win2012/entries/political-representation
- European Commission. 2012. Women in Economic Decision-Making in the EU: Progress Report. Luxembourg: Publications Office of the European Union.Google Scholar
- ———. 2016. Report on Equality Between Women and Men 2015. Luxembourg: Publications Office of the European Union.Google Scholar
- Fraser, Nancy. 1997. Justice Interruptus. Critical Reflections on the ‘Postsocialist’ Condition. London/New York: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Phillips, Anne. 1991. Engendering Democracy. Cambridge: Polity Press.Google Scholar
- Pitkin, Hanna F. 1972/1967. The Concept of Representation. Berkeley: University of California Press.Google Scholar
- Rafnsdóttir, Gudbjörg Linda, Thorgerdur Einarsdóttir, and Jón Snorri Snorrason. 2014. Gender Quota on the Boards of Corporations in Iceland. In Gender Quotas for Company Boards, ed. Marc De Vos, and Phillipe Culliford, 147–157. Cambridge: Intersentia Publishing.Google Scholar
Open Access This chapter is distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial License, which permits any noncommercial use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original author(s) and source are credited.