Multiblock and Multigroup PLS: Application to Study Cannabis Consumption in Thirteen European Countries
We address the problem of investigating the relationships between (K + 1) blocks of variables (i.e., K blocks of independent variables and one block of dependent variables), where the observations are a priori divided into several known groups. We propose a simple procedure called multiblock and multigroup PLS regression—which is a straightforward extension of multiblock PLS regression—that takes into account the group structure of the observations. This method of analysis is illustrated with a large, questionnaire based, survey exploring, in 2011, the cannabis consumption of teenagers of thirteen European countries (the European School Survey Project on Alcohol and other Drugs).
KeywordsMultigroup and multiblock PLS regression Multiblock analysis Multigroup analysis
- Eslami, A., Qannari, E.M., Kohler, A., Bougeard, S.: Two-block multi-group data analysis: application to epidemiology. In: Abdi, H., Chin, W.W., Esposito Vinzi, V., Russolillo, G., Trinchera, L. (eds.) New Perspectives in Partial Least Squares and Related Methods, pp. 243–255. Springer, New York (2013b)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Hox, J.: Multilevel Analysis: Techniques and Applications, 2nd edn. Taylor & Francis, New York (2010)Google Scholar
- R Development Core Team: A Language and Environment of Statistical Computing. R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Vienna (2012). http://cran.r-project.org/
- Wold, H.: Estimation of principal components and related models by iterative least squares. In: Krishnaiah, P.R. (ed.) Multivariate Analysis, pp. 391–420. Academic Press, New York (1966)Google Scholar
- Wold, S.: Three PLS algorithms according to SW. In: Symposium MULDAST (Multi-Variate Analysis in Science and Technology), Umea University, Umea, pp. 26–30 (1984)Google Scholar