Visual Interventions: Film, Ethnography and Social Change
In this chapter we address strategies in a collaborative film production project involving residents in three communities near Dar es Salaam, as well as students and teachers at the University of Dar es Salaam in Tanzania and Malmö University in Sweden. The purpose of the project was to create films about contemporary social themes and people in selected communities, and to explore ‘theatre for development’-inspired film productions as means of stimulating debates among local residents and stakeholders. The project was an experiment in ‘cultural brokering’ where particular forms of mediation and contact among young filmmakers, residents and teachers were intentionally sought to produce new envisioning of ideas and action, late in the project termed ‘imaginative leeways’ (by Sønderstrup 2011).
KeywordsScreen Event Film Production Documentary Film Cultural Brokerage Film Festival
- Imuma (Bagamoyo), John Mwakilama, Hellena Bernad and Henrik Hallberg.Google Scholar
- Steps in the Path (Kaole), Happiness Mengondi, Nicholaus Ngowi and Alex Wolf.Google Scholar
- Kunduchi Fishing Village (Kunduchi), Shahà ‘Biggie’ Mohamed, Zena Mchujuko and Gabriella Bryngelsson.Google Scholar
- Fine and Performing Arts, University of Dar es Salaam, and School of Arts and Communication, Malmö University, 2010.Google Scholar
- The films are available on vimeo: http://vimeo.com/user12784875.
- The School of Art and Communication also holds DVD copies.Google Scholar
Articles, books and other sources:
- Bakari, Juma Adamu. 1998. Satires in Theatre for Development Practice in Tanzania. In African Theatre for Development, ed. Kamal Salhi. London: Intellect Books.Google Scholar
- Boal, Augusto. 1992/2002. Games for Actors and Non-Actors, 2nd ed. (transl. A. Jackson). London: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Diawara, Manthia. 2010. African Film, New Forms of Aesthetics and Politics. Berlin: Haus der Welten/Prestel.Google Scholar
- Freire, Paulo. 1971. Pedagogy of the Oppressed. London: Penguin.Google Scholar
- Ginsburg, Faye, Lila Abu-Lughod, and Brian Larkin, eds. 2002. Media Worlds. Anthropology on New Terrain. Berkeley, CA: University of California Press.Google Scholar
- Hall, Stuart. 1997. Representation. Cultural Representations and Signifying Practices. London: Sage.Google Scholar
- Hodgkin, Katherine, and Susannah Radstone. 2003. Contested Pasts. The Politics of Memory. London: Routledge.Google Scholar
- ———. 2010. Social and Non-Formal Learning Environments. Glocal Times 14, May. http://ojs.ub.gu.se/ojs/index.php/gt/article/view/2608/2327. Accessed March 18, 2016.
- IMUMA website. http://imuma.awardspace.com/. Accessed March 18, 2016.
- Morris, Nancy. 2005. The Diffusion and Participatory Approaches. In Media and Glocal Change, eds. Oscar Hemer, and Thomas Tufte, 123–144. Gothenburg/Buenos Aires: Nordicom/Clacso.Google Scholar
- Nichols, Bill. 2001. Introduction to Documentary. Indiana: Indiana University Press.Google Scholar
- Mefalopulos, Paolo, and Thomas Tufte. 2008. Participatory Communication. The World Bank Working Paper No. 170. http://siteresources.worldbank.org/EXTDEVCOMMENG/Resources/Participatorycommunication.pdf. Accessed 18 March 2016.
- Pink, Sarah. 2007. Visual Interventions. Applied Visual Anthropology. New York: Berghan Books.Google Scholar
- ———. 2008. “Analysing Visual Experience”. In Research Methods for Cultural Studies, edited by Michael Pickering, 125–149. Edinburgh: Edinburgh University Press.Google Scholar
- Radstone, Susannah, and Katharine Hodgkin, eds. 2003. Contested Pasts. The Politics of Memory. London: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Sønderstrup, Søren. 2010–2011. Field Diary Extracts. Communication for Devlopment09 Course Website, June 10–March 11 Diary Entries. Course Site Entries Not Public.Google Scholar
- ———. 2011a. Film for Change. Communication Rights and Social Change in Tanzania. MA thesis, Malmö University. Available online at MUEP (Malmö University Electronic Publishing. http://dspace.mah.se/handle/2043/12353. Accessed 18 March 2016.
- ———. 2011b. Locating Agency in Film for Change. In Glocal Times 16, September. http://ojs.ub.gu.se/ojs/index.php/gt/article/view/2601/2320. Accessed 18 March 2016.
- Traces of a Young Diaspora. 2004. Malmö University, School of Arts and Communication. Coordination Lajos Varhegyi and Kathrine Winkelhorn.Google Scholar
- Youth in Transition blog. 2012. http://wpmu.mah.se/yit. Accessed 18 March 2018.