Exploring Risk-Benefit Factors of Electronic Clinical Pathways Regarding Nursing Communication
This study explores the influence of electronic clinical pathways (ECPs) on nurses’ daily activities, especially nursing communication, in a university hospital. Although an electronic clinical pathway enables medical-treatment processes to be standardized by interacting with different occupations, few studies have been conducted from the managerial perspective. We interviewed a doctor in the Department of Medical Information Systems and eight nurses who make entries and use ECPs. The results of the interview indicated that some nurses learned about the medical processes using electronic clinical pathways. The results also showed that the assessment abilities for patient care could decline, if the nurses failed to incorporate the electronic clinical pathways into their daily routines.
KeywordsElectronic clinical pathways communication standardization risks in nursing practice university hospital risk/benefit factors
Our research was partly supported by the Grant-in-Aid for Scientific Research (21330089, 24330118, 26502008, 15K16168) of the JSPS. We would like to thank the doctor and nurses of Miyazaki University Hospital for their cooperation.
- 3.Soejima, H.: Iryō Kiroku Ga Kawaru Ketteiban Kurinikaru Pasu (in Japanese). Tōkyō: Igaku Shoin (2004). PrintGoogle Scholar
- 12.de Luc, K., Todd, J.: E-pathways: Computers and the Patient’s Journey Through Care. Radcliffe Publishing, Abingdon (2003)Google Scholar
- 17.Sugihara, T., Sakanishi, H., Gofuku, A., Umemoto, K., Suzuki, M., Araki, K.: Potential of electronic clinical pathways as triggers for eliciting implicit knowledge. In: Proceedings of the 41st Annual Conference of the IEEE Industrial Electronics Society (IECON2015), pp. 410–415 (2015)Google Scholar
- 19.Japan Council for Quality Health Care.: “iryou ziko joho syu-syu- tou zigyou hiyarihatto 2009–2015”, 7 June 2016. http://www.med-safe.jp/mpsearch/SearchReport.action
- 20.Kinoshita, Y.: Raibu Kōgi M-GTA: Jissenteki Shitsuteki Kenkyūhō: Shūseiban Guraundeddo Seorī Apurōchi No Subete. Tōkyō: Kōbundō (2007). PrintGoogle Scholar
- 21.Kinoshita, Y.: Guraundeddo Seorī Apurōchi No Jissen: Shitsuteki Kenkyū Eno Sasoi. Tōkyō: Kōbundō (2003). PrintGoogle Scholar