Exploration of Smart Phone Knowledge Management Application Design for Nomadic Maintenance Workers
Knowledge management systems are built to organized knowledge for certain companies or organizations. This study investigates an experience sharing application on the smart phone to help manage the experience of elevator maintenance workers. Results indicate that the training mechanism (one master teaches one apprentice) and nomadic property of maintenance work contribute to the design and usage of the application. Besides, the potential use cases of the application include search, ask and share experience. The experience sharing application will help improve workers’ expertise and guarantee their job safety.
KeywordsKnowledge management Maintenance worker Experience sharing application
This study was funded by United Technologies Corporation. We are grateful to the employees whom we have worked with for providing their advice in our research.
- 1.Hermann, M., Pentek, T., Otto, B.: Design principles for industrie 4.0 scenarios: a literature review. Working Paper No. 01 (2015)Google Scholar
- 3.General Administration of Quality Supervision, Inspection and Quarantine of the People’s Republic of China. http://www.aqsiq.gov.cn/
- 4.Ackerman, M.S., Wulf, V., Pipek, V.: Sharing Expertise: Beyond Knowledge Management. MIT Press, Cambridge (2002)Google Scholar
- 5.Zhang, J., Ackerman, M.S.: Searching for expertise in social networks: a simulation of potential strategies. In: Proceedings of the 2005 International ACM SIGGROUP Conference on Supporting Group Work, pp. 71–80. ACM (2005)Google Scholar
- 7.Pintelon, L., Waeyenbergh, G.: A practical approach to maintenance modelling. In: Ashayeri, J., Sullivan, W.G., Ahmad, M.M. (eds.) Flexible Automation and Intelligent Manufacturing, pp. 1109–1119. Begell House, New York (1999)Google Scholar
- 8.De Long, D., Fehey, L.: Diagnosing cultural barriers to knowledge management. Acad. Manag. Executive 14(4), 113–127 (2000)Google Scholar
- 9.Franklin, T., Van Harmelen, M.: Web 2.0 for content for Learning and Teaching in Higher Education. JISC (2007). www.jisc.ac.uk/media/documents/programmes/digitalrepositories/web2-contentlearningand-teaching.pdf
- 11.Srba, I., Bieliková. M.: Discovering Educational Potential Embedded in Community Question Answering. Proc. EKM (2014)Google Scholar