Research over the last five or so decades has provided ample knowledge regarding risk and protective factors that influence the caries process. One of the protective factors concerns turning potentially vulnerable tooth surfaces into non-vulnerable ones. This procedure is known as sealing pits and fissures systems. The seal changes a rough tooth surface into a smooth one from which the biofilm can be removed relatively easy.
This chapter presents and discusses clinical aspects of sealants. Outcomes from evidence-based studies have been used as much as possible. Aspects that have been given attention include: indications for sealing pits and fissures, (dis)advantages of common materials used for sealing, description of sealant application step by step, their effectiveness over time and to what extent sealants manage micro-cavities.
KeywordsAtraumatic restorative treatment ART Sealant Glass-ionomer sealant Resin sealant Micro-cavity sealing over
I would like to thank all colleagues who, through their research, have assisted me in writing this chapter.
- 3.Marinho VC, Worthington HV, Walsh T, Chong LY. Fluoride gels for preventing dental caries in children and adolescents. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2015;(6):CD002280.Google Scholar
- 9.Hesse D, Bonifácio CC, Guglielmi CeA, Franca C, Mendes FM, Raggio DP. Low-cost glass ionomer cement as ART sealant in permanent molars: a randomized clinical trial. Braz Oral Res. 2015;29:1–6.Google Scholar
- 14.Ahovuo-Saloranta A, Forss H, Walsh T, Hiiri A, Nordblad A, Mäkelä M, et al. Sealants for preventing dental decay in the permanent teeth. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2013;(3):CD001830.Google Scholar
- 17.Frencken JE, Holmgren CJ. Atraumatic restorative treatment for dental caries. Nijmegen: STI book b.v.; 1999.Google Scholar
- 20.Ngo H, Seow WK. Dental sealants. In: Limeback H, editor. Comprehensive preventive dentistry. Ames: Wiley-Blackwell; 2012. p. 292.Google Scholar
- 24.Simonsen RJ. Glass ionomer as fissure sealant – a critical review. J Public Health Dent. 1996;56(3 Spec No):146–9; discussion 61–3.Google Scholar
- 49.FDI World Dental Federation. FDI policy statement on bisphenol-A in dental restorative and preventive materials. Adopted by the FDI General Assembly: 30 August 2013 – Istanbul, Turkey. Int Dent J. 2013;63(6):284.Google Scholar
- 50.Barja-Fidalgo F, Maroun S, de Oliveira BH. Effectiveness of a glass ionomer cement used as a pit and fissure sealant in recently erupted permanent first molars. J Dent Child (Chic). 2009;76(1):34–40.Google Scholar