Caries Management and Prevention in Relation to the Needs of the Patient
This chapter will present sample cases from different life phases starting from pregnancy to senescence, as well as various complicated conditions such as systemic disorders or cancer treatment, where various regimes of prevention are suggested and discussed.
KeywordsLife phases Age Overall health Oral health Caries management Caries risk
- 4.Perunovic ND, Rakic MM, Nikolic LI, Jankovic SM, Aleksic ZM, Plecas DV, et al. The association between periodontal inflammation and labor triggers elevated cytokine levels in pre-term birth: a cross-sectional study. J Periodontol. 2016;87(3):248–56.Google Scholar
- 15.American Academy on Pediatric Dentistry, American Academy of Pediatrics. Policy on early childhood caries (ECC): classifications, consequences, and preventive strategies. Pediatr Dent. 2008;30(7 Suppl):40–3.Google Scholar
- 16.American Academy of Paediatric Dentistry Clinical Affairs Committee. Guideline on adolescent oral health care. Pediatr Dent. 2015;37(6):49–56.Google Scholar
- 26.American Academy of Paediatric Dentistry Clinical Affairs Committee. Guideline on management of dental patients with special health care needs. Pediatr Dent. 2015;37(6):166–71.Google Scholar
- 30.Sung L et al. Guideline for the prevention of oral and oropharyngeal mucositis in children receiving treatment for cancer or undergoing haematopoietic stem cell transplantation. BMJ Supportive and Palliative Care 2015;0:1–10. doi: 10.1136/bmjspcare-2014-000804.
- 32.Elad S, Raber-Durlacher JE, Brennan MT, Saunders DP, Mank AP, Zadik Y, Passweg JR. Basic oral care for hematology–oncology patients and hematopoietic stem cell transplantation recipients: a position paper from the joint task force of the Multinational Association of Supportive Care in Cancer/International Society of Oral Oncology (MASCC/ISOO) and the European Society for Blood and Marrow Transplantation (EBMT). Support Care Cancer. 2015;23(1):223–36.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 34.United Nations General Assembly. Political declaration of the high-level meeting of the General Assembly on the Prevention and Control of Non-communicable Diseases (16 September 2011) (Clause 19). Available from http://www.un.org/ga/search/view_doc.asp?symbol=A/66/L.1. Accessed 27 Oct 2013.
- 41.FDI Istanbul Declaration. http://www.fdiworldental.org/publications/declarations/istanbul-declaration.