Understanding PL Purchase Intention in the Context of ‘PL-Only’ Assortments: An Experimental Approach
Private label (PL) purchase intention is a powerful predictor of a purchase and can be influenced by a variety of factors. In this paper, we analyse the influence of consumer involvement with a product category, consumer attitude towards a PL, consumer value consciousness and consumer perception of store image on PL purchase intention. Through an experiment based on an online survey administered in Spain, we establish the causal relationships of the structural model using a structural equation methodology. Our findings suggest that in retailers with ‘PL-only’ range, consumer attitude towards the PL and consumer perception of the store image have a direct and positive effect on PL purchase intention. Our findings also suggest that in retailers with ‘PL-only’ range, consumer involvement with the product category and consumer value consciousness are not significantly associated with PL purchase intention. Our findings have important implications for retail management regarding assortment size composition decisions.
KeywordsPrivate label Retailing Assortment National brands Intent to purchase
The authors wish to acknowledge the financial support provided by the Fundación Ramón Areces (Spain).
- Beneke, J. (2008). Consumer perceptions of private label brands within the retail grocery sector of South Africa. Journal of Business Management, 4(2), 203–220.Google Scholar
- Churchill, G. A. (2003). Investigación de Mercados (4th ed.). Ciudad de México: Thomson.Google Scholar
- Ghosh, A. (1990). Retail management (2nd ed.). Chicago, IL: The Dryden Press.Google Scholar
- Hu, F., & Chuang, C. C. (2009). How can different brand strategies lead to retailers’ success? Comparing manufacturers brand for Coca-Cola and private brand for Costco. Journal of Global Business Issues, 3(1), 129–135.Google Scholar
- Levy, M., & Weitz, B. A. (2008). Retailing management (7th ed.). Boston, MA: McGraw Hill.Google Scholar
- Walsh, G., & Mitchell, V. W. (2010). Consumers’ intention to buy private label brands revisited. Journal of General Management, 35(3), 3–24.Google Scholar