Advertisement

Do Feature and Discount Promotions for National Brands Primarily Drive (National) Brand Choice, Store Choice, or Both? An Exploratory Analysis

  • Jonne GuytEmail author
  • Els Gijsbrechts
Conference paper
Part of the Springer Proceedings in Business and Economics book series (SPBE)

Abstract

Feature and discounts promotions are among the most frequently used marketing instruments in the consumer packaged goods (CPG) landscape. Using a flexible generalized extreme-value model, this study analyses the effect of national brand feature and discount promotions in a multi-retailer and multi-brand setting, in which households can use different decision routes to choose a (national or private label) brand and store. Across nine CPG categories, our results reveal that in each category a mixture of decision routes prevails: about 55 % of households exhibiting a brand focus (i.e. primarily select a brand, and then choose between stores offering that brand), the remaining 45 % showing evidence of a retailer focus (i.e. rather substituting brand offers within a visited store). These decision routes entail different patterns of competition between brands and stores, and come with differences in promotion response: feature ads triggering stronger (weaker) reactions among households with a brand (retailer) focus in almost all categories, and discount depth hardly affecting households with a retailer focus. As such, especially for less-frequently purchased categories, the brand-focus decision route leads to larger net promotion benefits for the retailer and, despite the stronger brand-cannibalization, even for the manufacturer. Managerial implications are discussed.

Keywords

Brand and store choice Decision structures National brand promotions Feature ads Discounts 

References

  1. Ailawadi, K. L., Beauchamp, J. P., Donthu, N., Gauri, D. K., & Shankar, V. (2009). Communication and promotion decisions in retailing: A review and directions for future research. Journal of Retailing, 85(1), 42–55.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
  2. Baltas, G., Argouslidis, P. C., & Skarmeas, D. (2010). The role of customer factors in multiple store patronage: A cost-benefit approach. Journal of Retailing, 86(1), 37–50.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
  3. Gauri, D. K., Sudhir, K., & Talukdar, D. (2008). The temporal and spatial dimensions of price search: Insights from matching household survey and purchase data. Journal of Marketing Research, 45(2), 226–240.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
  4. Kushwaha, T., & Shankar, V. (2013). Are multichannel customers really more valuable? The moderating role of product category characteristics. Journal of Marketing, 77(4), 67–85.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
  5. Mehta, N., & Ma, Y. (2012). A multicategory model of consumers’ purchase incidence, quantity, and brand choice decisions: Methodological issues and implications on promotional decisions. Journal of Marketing Research, 49(4), 435–451.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
  6. Srinivasan, S., Pauwels, K., Hanssens, D. M., & Dekimpe, M. G. (2004). Do promotions benefit manufacturers, retailers, or both? Management Science, 50(5), 617–629.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
  7. Steenkamp, J.-B. E. M., van Heerde, H. J., & Geyskens, I. (2010). What makes consumers willing to pay a price premium for national brands over private labels? Journal of Marketing Research, 47(6), 1011–1024.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
  8. van Heerde, H., Leeflang, P. S. H., & Wittink, D. R. (2004). Decomposing the sales promotion bump with store data. Marketing Science, 23(3), 317–334.CrossRefGoogle Scholar

Copyright information

© Springer International Publishing Switzerland 2016

Authors and Affiliations

  1. 1.Faculty of Economics and BusinessUniversity of AmsterdamAmsterdamThe Netherlands
  2. 2.School of Economics and ManagementTilburg UniversityTilburgThe Netherlands

Personalised recommendations