The Basis of Coaching
- 936 Downloads
Larry A. Hjelle and Daniel J. Ziegler discuss underlying basic assumptions about human nature in Personality Theories: Basic Assumptions, Research, and Applications (1992), to address the difference between, for example, behaviourism when compared to a humanistic approach, etc. Inspired by their philosophical discussion and ideas around their methods I evolved a measurement by which to examine what is not coaching. For example, I discuss the different types of coaching, such as Hypnosis-Coaching and NLP coaching using this method, and to determine whether what is being sold as coaching under different labels can be called coaching. In addition to that, a simple validation of these assumptions allows me to build workable guidelines that help me to stay on course, so to say, during coaching and make every single coaching meeting both predictable and repeatable with very high efficacy.
KeywordsHuman Nature Basic Assumption Romantic Relationship Definite Outcome Coaching Session
- Gottman, J. (2011). The science of trust: Emotional attunement for couples. New York: W.W. Norton.Google Scholar
- Kelly, G. A. (1963). A theory of personality: The psychology of personal constructs. New York: W.W. Norton.Google Scholar
- Leonard, T. J. (2005). The Coach U personal and corporate coach training handbook. New Jersey: Wiley.Google Scholar
- Ross, L. (1977). The intuitive psychologist and his shortcomings: Distortions in the attribution process. In L. Berkowitz (Ed.), Advances in experimental social psychology (Vol. 10, pp. 173–240). Orlando, FL: Academic.Google Scholar
- Sapolsky, R. M. (2004). Why zebras don’t get ulcers. New York: St. Martin’s Griffin.Google Scholar
- Wilson, T. D. (2002). Strangers to ourselves: Discovering the adaptive unconscious. Cambridge, MA: The Belknap Press.Google Scholar
- Ariely, D. (2014). A beginner’s guide to irrational behaviour. Week 3, Lecture on Dishonesty. Coursera. https://www.class-central.com/mooc/424/coursera-a-beginner-s-guide-to-irrational-behavior. Accessed 14 Mar 2014.
- Boyatzis, R. Inspiring leadership through emotional leadership. Online course materials. www.coursera.org. Accessed 25 June 2013.
- Byrne, J. A., & Gerdes, L. (2005). The man who invented management. http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2005-11-27/the-man-who-invented-management. Accessed 10 Oct 2012.
- Loebbert, M. http://www.fhnw.ch/personen/michael-loebbert/publikationen. Accessed 2 Nov 2015. http://www.fhnw.ch/personen/michael-loebbert/profil. Accessed 15 Mar 2016.
- Loebbert, M. (2015). Real help or humbug. The sense and senselessness of coaching. Radio Broadcast, SWR. Broadcast at 4 Minutes 40 seconds. http://www.swr.de/swr2/programm/sendungen/wissen/hilfe-oder-humbug-sinn-und-unsinn-descoachings/-/id=660374/did=16437268/nid=660374/1h9sg7/index.html. Accessed 6 Nov 2015.
- The Drucker Institute. Peter Drucker’s life and legacy. http://www.druckerinstitute.com/peter-druckers-life-and-legacy/. Accessed 12 Oct 2012.
- The Gottman Institute. https://www.gottman.com/about/john-julie-gottman/. Accessed 3 Mar 2014.