My 5 years’ experience of professional coaching has shown me that executive coaching is a knowledge-based skill and nothing short of that. For coaching to be effective, along with appropriate coaching training, a coach requires life experience and also formal knowledge of a few subjects. This consideration stems from the fact, often overlooked, that in our modern economy a coaching client is herself a knowledge-based executive who will not accept lesser knowledge from her coach. How long does it take for coaching to be effective and for the client to experience its benefits? This question is of importance because along with the discussed ambiguities there is also the question of whether coaching needs to last for as long as 40 meetings and whether clients need to enter very long contracts to experience the benefits of coaching. On the contrary coaching is a short relationship. It makes a very significant difference to the client. Effective coaching is possible and measurable if conducted methodically, and if it is not mutated into a technique, which is served as a schematic or rigid format with a few tools and tricks.
KeywordsRomantic Partner Laboratory Assistant Coaching Session Socratic Dialogue Meditative State
- Csikszentmihalyi, M. (1990). Flow: The psychology of optimal experience. New York: Harper.Google Scholar
- Gallwey, W. T. (1974; revised 2015). The inner game of tennis. London: Pan Books.Google Scholar
- Kahneman, D. (2013). Thinking, fast and slow. New York: Farrar, Straus and Giroux.Google Scholar
- Korotov, K., Florent-Treacy, E., Kets de Vries, M. F. R., & Bernhardt, A. (2012). Tricky coaching, difficult cases in coaching. London: Palgrave Macmillan.Google Scholar
- Pennebaker, J. W. (1997). Opening up: The healing power of expressing emotions. New York: Guilford Press.Google Scholar
- Popper, K. R. (1980). The logic of scientific discovery. London: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Skinner, B. F. (1974; revised 1976). About behaviorism. New York: Random House.Google Scholar
- Grundgesetz für die Bundesrepublik Deutschland. https://www.gesetze-im-internet.de/englisch_gg/index.html. English translation: Professor Christian Tomuschat and Professor David P. Currie. Revised translation: Professor Christian Tomuschat and Professor Donald P. Kommers in cooperation with the Language Service of the German Bundestag (The house of commons of the German Parliament). Accessed 3 Mar 2013.